Chapter 31

Emily

The next few days were nothing but training and preparing.

Devon and Malik were often off with a bunch of warriors doing drills and fighting techniques.

Xavier and I were mostly out by the river so I could practice with my element and Xavier could practice with his short blade.

I rarely saw Devon, he would usually come home around ten in the morning and leave before I would wake up.

Today was no different, I woke up in an empty bed a little after sundown.

I got up and dressed, it was about nine at night. Xavier had plans with Malik tonight I think, something about improving his combat skills?

So I was on my own for the night, which actually made me a little excited.

I hadn't been able to have any time to myself in awhile, I was always with Devon or Xavier or just with someone else.

I walked out of my room and towards the stairs, instead of laying around in my room all day I was going to go outside to the river.

My ability was getting stronger no doubt, but I needed more practice before I could use it in a fight.

The thoughts of war began to cloud my mind, making my nerves on edge. It was terrifying to think about, and the worst part of it is that it's all because of me.

I'm the reason for this war, just because I'm some weird half human, half vampire thing.

I mentally shook myself, this was no time to be thinking about that. I needed to focus on getting stronger, so I could fight along side my friends and not be useless dead weight.

I opened the door to the stair well and started to walk down.

I was lost in my train of thoughts that I almost ran into the fourth floor door opening.

"Oh shit my bad." A familiar voice said. I looked up and was surprised to see Katie standing in front of me.

"Katie?" Her dark blue eyes widened and she smiled brightly.

"Emily? Oh my goodness how are you?" Her voice was kind, however I couldn't help but notice her scent. I swallowed hard and smiled.

"I'm fine, just about to go outside, what about you?"

"Bored out of my mind, can I come with you? I have nothing to do everyone else is so busy." Katie said, I found her cheerfulness strange but also refreshing. Everyone was so stressed, tired and scared, she didn't seem bothered by the coming events though.

"I mean I don't mind, but I'm pretty sure you'll be bored outside too." She shrugged.

"Better than being stuck inside that's for sure." She said, hooking her arm with mine and leading us down the stairs.

We walked through the lobby and out the front doors of the coven.

Outside, warriors in small groups were practicing fight techniques. I looked around for Devon or Malik but I couldn't see either of them.

Katie and I took a right towards the river. As we came closer, I could hear the waters moving down stream, it was like music to my ears.

When we came to the rivers edge, Katie let go of me and sat down.

"Go ahead, I'll just watch." She said with a smile.

I nodded and turned, taking off my shoes and going into the river, focusing my energy on the water surrounding me.

It obeyed me almost immediately, swirling up around my body in flowing waves. I smiled, joy filling me as my element moved with my body.

"Wow." Katie said under her breath. My smile widened as I moved my hand. The water followed, swirling up into the air.

I moved my hands above my head and clenched my fists, the water froze into snow. I moved again, jerking my hands and letting them fall to my side, the snow exploded into sparkling snowflakes that fell and melted into the river.

I heard Katie gasp and clap happily, I turned towards her and took a small bow.

"That was amazing! I've never seen anything like it!" She exclaimed.

"Well I still need some more practice but thank you." She waved her hand.

"Don't mind me, keep going." Katie said with a big smile, clasping her hands together into her lap, looking eager to see more.

I smiled at her and turned my focus back onto the water.

I took a deep breath.

                                   **********

Bellona

I stood in front of my coven, all my warriors gathered in the mess hall, waiting eagerly for me to speak.

Thane stood a few feet away from me, many of his warriors also scattered around the room, making the crowd look packed in.

A fire burned in the fire place behind me, causing my back to feel warm, if I were human I think it would be uncomfortable, but the heat felt invigorating. I wore my black slit dress, the same one I wore when I killed the previous master warrior. It was old yes, but I only wore it for important moments. My hair laid down my back in loose waves, I smiled and look down the rows of warriors.

"My coven, our way of life is threatened. The electus has awoken and she will be the end of our kind if we do not destroy her." I paused for a moment, gasps and whispers echoed throughout the hall. "Cyrus of the Eastern coven has betrayed us, he harbors this monster and lets her live within his walls. He, along with anyone who stands with him, is our enemy and must be eliminated!"

Cheers vibrated from the crowd, almost shaking the entire room. I grinned, not surprised the warriors were excited. They longed for battle, it was in our blood, it is our nature.

This is what separates us from other vampires, our stealth, our speed, our strength, all attribute to our skills on the battlefield.

This is what we are born for, peace was never meant for us. We need war, we need blood shed, we needed to fight.

"We will attack in a week, we will travel to his coven during the night and attack at dusk on the seventh day. Warriors! Prepare yourselves! We begin tonight!"

The warriors roared with delight, yelling and banging their hands and weapons on the tables.

I turned, stepping down from the fireplace.

"Come Thane, we have a few things to do before our departure." I said passing him, he grunted and follow.

I grinned, doing my best to contain my excitement and thought to myself.

Seven days, seven days until the fun starts.