Chapter 41

Emily

It was kind of hard to breathe at this point.

Xavier and I had only been walking for a good twenty minutes, but with every step I thought I would pass out.

"Maybe we should stop and rest." Xavier said to me but I shook my head.

"No, we need to get back to the coven, what if something has happened?" I responded through staggered breaths.

"Okay fine but at least let me carry you or something, you can barely walk." I gave him a look.

"We're like, the same size, how can you carry me? Plus you were, ya know, stabbed." I replied with raised eyebrows. He rolled his eyes at me sarcastically.

"That was forever ago, plus I feel fine. Girl just hush up and giddy up." He said stopping in front of me, lowering himself so I could hop on his back. I sighed heavily, but reluctantly did what he asked.

I struggled a little, my wounds hadn't healed much but Xavier helped me until I was on his back. I had kind of forgotten that he was a vamp and could possibly carry five of me at the same time.

It confused me a bit that he was completely uninjured, what was in my blood? How is this even possible?

Xavier started to walk again, although it still hurt, it was much better than walking.

I could actually take a decent breath. The night air splashed my face, trying to dry the beads of sweat that had formed above my brow.

"We should be there in another twenty or so, just try and rest and heal a bit." Xavier said to me.

"Okay, sorry if I get blood on your shirt." He chuckled for a moment but then stopped.

"You know, I saw you fighting, I was in and out of consciousness but I did see a little, I heard everything though." He took a deep breath and let it out. "I saw when you killed the other two guys, and then when you came towards the other one, Alister, your eyes were... your eyes were black."

I gasped but immediately winced in pain, that was what Alister had said. I didn't get it at the time and had honestly somewhat forgotten about it due to everything else that had happened.

"What do you mean black?" I strained to speak, mostly out of pain.

"The whites of your eyes were black, but your irises were red, I thought I was just imagining it at the time, but when you came over to me I could see them changing back to normal." He looked over his shoulder at me. "Has that ever happened before?" I shook my head.

"Not that I know of. I was so angry I just lost control of myself I think. Was I scary?" I asked in a quiet voice, but to my surprise Xavier shook his head.

"No, again I thought I was hallucinating but to me you looked like a vengeful goddess. The water and ice around you portrayed your anger, it wasn't scary, it was incredible." 

My eyes widened with his words.

"Thank you." Was all I could make come out of my mouth.

"Pretty sure I should be the one saying that but I'll take it." He said with a smile. I leaned down into his back, resting my arms on his shoulders.

"I'm gonna shut my eyes for a minute, I'm kind of dizzy." I said just above a whisper.

"Go ahead, I'll wake you up when we're almost there."

I closed my eyes, I'm pretty sure I actually fainted. The world around me went quiet, all I could hear was Xavier's feet hitting the ground as he walked, and his heart beat at a steady pace.

                                **********
Malik

I stood above Bellona, I was surprised she was still unconscious, had I really hurt her that badly?

I tried not to think about it, but I was glad I hadn't killed her. Devon had been right, I would have regretted it greatly.

My head perked up at the sound of movement in the trees. Down came Shealyn, one of the covens archers.

Even from the ground I could tell she was horribly injured. Blood soaked her clothes, and her left arm was broken so badly I could see bone.

She jumped from the tree and landed sloppily onto the ground. I rushed over to help her sit up.

"Shea? Are you alright? What happened?" I questioned, she took a second to catch her breath. Now that she was closer I could see a larger wound on her neck. Her long dirty blond hair was matted with blood.

"The archers, all of them are dead. Three men attacked us, they headed towards Xavier and- "

She coughed up blood and gasped in pain. My eyes widened, Emily and Xavier were in trouble.

"Where is Master Cyrus? I must tell him." She exclaimed through shallow breaths. I shook my head.

"He's dead, I am the master now." I looked over her wounds once again. She would live after she got some blood, but she'll be in pain until then.

"Master Malik, what should we do?" Shealyn asked, it caught me off guard for a moment that she referred to me as master.

"You need to stay here and rest, your work is over." I stood up and looked around. I needed to get to them, before anything happened.

"Is that Master Bellona?" Shea asked shocked.

"Yes, we have her captured, Lord Devon is working on getting Thane as we speak." I looked down at her and thought for a moment. "If I gave you my blood, would you be able to stay and make sure Bellona doesn't get away when she wakes?"

Shealyn immediately shook her head with a look of fear.

"No, you cannot give your blood to me, not as a master, I refuse." She started to stand, leaning heavily on the tree behind her for support. "I will be able to to stop her if she tries to escape my liege, please, go find your mate and the Electus." She did a sort of half bow.

It was true that I couldn't give my blood to her, it was forbidden to take the blood of a master unless you were a mate or another master. I had thought in this kind of situation Shea might over look that, but even in her condition she refused.

I sighed, trying to decide what to do.

"I'll be right back, stay put, try not to move too much." I said and rushed over towards the crowd of warriors. I hadn't realized that fighting had stopped. Everyone stood facing towards something.

It was then I saw they were watching Devon and Thane battle.

From what I could tell, it was quite the fight, both looked bloodied and beaten.

When I reached the outer part of the circle, I grabbed the first one of my covens warriors. To my surprise I had grabbed Drake, the cocky bastard.

"Malik? What are you doing here? Where's Master Cyrus?" He asked.

"Dead, no time to explain." I said in a rush and pointed behind me. "Shealyn is over there against a tree, she's badly injured, Bellona is next to her unconscious. Tend to Shea and watch Bellona, if she wakes up, either keep her there or knock her out again, got it?" I said with a stern face.

He blinked a few times trying to process everything I had just said, but quickly regained his composure.

"Yes, my liege." Drake did a quick bow and rushed over toward Shea.

I turned as well, beginning to make my way towards the river, hoping my mate and Emily were okay.