Chapter 5

Emily

After Devon and I finished getting ready, we waited for Xavier. We were suppose to meet with Cyrus today around midnight. I was nervous, the last time I had seen him, he was trying to kill Devon, so personally I didn't really like the guy. Devon had assured me Cyrus was on our side, but I needed to see it before I could believe it.

Before long, Xavier knocked on the door. I heard him walk down the hall before he even reached the door, and I caught his scent once he was right outside the room.

"Ready?" Devon asked standing up from the bed and holding out his hand. I nodded and let him help me up. He open the door and we greeted Xavier before heading towards the elevator.

This was the first time I had been outside of the room in about five days. New sounds and smells surrounded me, even in the elevator. I didn't really know what to expect as we exited onto the top floor.

We walked down the dark hall, last time I was here I didn't really like the dim lighting. However now I appreciated it greatly and was impressed at how well I could see in the dark. The scones that lined the walls with their small burning lights were easy on my new sensitive eyes.

Xavier knocked before opening one of the large doors to Cyrus's office. Devon and I walked in, still hand in hand. My eyes immediately caught on the figure standing in front of the desk. Cyrus looked the same, although this time he seemed calmer. His scent reached my nose, it reminded me of winter time in the mountains, pine covered in snow.

"Good evening and welcome." Cyrus spoke and bowed to both Devon and I. To be honest I was surprised by the gesture. Devon squeezed my hand but kept his eyes on Cyrus. He smiled at the master warrior, which again surprised me.

Devon held out his hand and Cyrus shook it. It bothered me how friendly they seemed towards each other. The two men looked at me and I couldn't help but raise an eyebrow at them.

"Emily I'd like to apologize for the first time we met, I was wrong and I hope you can forgive me." Cyrus said with a smile.

"Apology noted, now why did you want to speak with me." I noticed his eyes widened for a split second, he wasn't expecting me to say that apparently.

"Yes well, I brought you here to do sort of an assessment check. I'm going to run a few tests on you today, nothing extreme of course seeing as you're less than a week old." Cyrus turned on his heel and walked over to his desk, picking up some paper and a pen.

"What kind of tests?" I asked him but Devon answered me instead.

"Medical tests mostly, just to make sure you're healthy and your body isn't going to reject the change. You're not in the clear until at least two weeks after you've awakened." Devons eyes met mine, he looked a little worried.

"Okay then that doesn't seem to bad." I said and gave him a small smile. Cyrus turned toward us again and gestured for me to sit on the black couch against the side wall. Devon walked me over and I sat down.

"So this first test is just to see if you are healing normally." Cyrus said walking towards me, I was about to ask what he was going to do but a sharp pain erupted from my arm. I looked down and saw a large cut going down my forearm.

Before I could snap at Cyrus, my arm started to heal right before my eyes. Not even a drop of blood escaped the cut because it closed and healed within seconds. When it was completely gone I looked up at Cyrus and saw him holding a pocket knife.

"Sorry about that, I didn't know if you'd freak out if I held a knife to you." He grinned a little wickedly, I scowled at him. "It seems though that your healing abilities are in working order. Next is a blood sample."

As if on cue, a woman walked in with a small tray of medical supplies. She had bright red curly hair and the whitest smile I'd ever seen. I could tell she wasn't human, although she did look a little older than most of the vamps I'd seen. The woman wore a lab coat and I was surprised I hadn't noticed her until she walked into the room.

"Hello Emily, I'm Dr. Netts, it's nice to finally meet you." She said sitting down next to me and holding out her hand. I shook it and gave her a small smile.

She started setting up the medical supplies she brought, a needle for taking blood, a small tube and some containers for the blood. She put gloves on and wiped my arm off with an alcohol pad.

"Why do you need to take my blood?" I asked Cyrus.

"To see how much of it is human and how much of it isn't, also to test if your blood is healthy." He replied without looking away from what Dr. Netts was doing. I felt a prick in my arm and looked down to see she had already started taking blood. She quickly filled up three small containers and took the needle out of my arm.

"Alrighty all done." She said cheerfully and wiped my arm again. "I'm sure you don't need a bandaid." Dr. Netts winked and I smiled at her.

She stood up and stuck the blood filled containers in the pocket of her lab coat. Cyrus nodded to her and she bowed before waving goodbye. Then, just as quickly as she came, she was gone again.

"So is that it? Am I done with my tests?" I asked standing up, I looked at Devon as I did and his expression worried me.

"Not quite." Cyrus responded and looked over at Xavier who had been standing by the door this entire time. Xavier nodded and left the room, I gave Devon and Cyrus a look.

"What is it? What's the next test?" I asked, Devon gave me a small smile.

"Don't worry, it'll be quick." He said and my heart rate kicked up a few notches. I didn't like the sound of that, what were they planning. Cyrus walked back over to his desk and sat down, Devon stayed very close to me. A few moments of silenced pasted by, with every second I grew more worried.

"Just get it over with then." I said clenching my fists, Cyrus kept his eyes on me for a few seconds before the sound of the door opening caused all three of us to turn our heads.

"Now, my liege?" Xavier asked poking his head into the room, Cyrus nodded.

Xavier opened the door wide and stepped inside, followed by a young woman with dark hair and dark eyes. She was tall and beautiful, her dark skin somehow glowed in the dim light. At first I was confused, is this part of the test? Then I caught the woman's scent.

It was like pumpkin and cinnamon, so warm and sweet, from where I stood I could see her pulse beating heavily against her dark skin. My fangs slid from my gums, I was suddenly starving, her scent was consuming me. It was so strong that I couldn't resist taking a step closer.

I breathed in again, but it wasn't enough, I had to get closer. I wanted to feel her pulse against my lips, I wanted to bite down into her flesh and drink the sweet red liquid from her body.

Before I realized it, I went for her neck.