Chapter 27

Emily

Devon lead me down to the first floor, saying he had some kind of surprise for me.

I was suspicious of course, I never really knew what to expect when it came to him.

The front windows of the covens first floor were dark, but with my enhanced eye sight I could clearly see the trees and stars above as if it were daylight.

As we exited the front doors, we took a left towards the small outdoor parking lot that was never used. Except this time there was a silver car parked in one of the spaces.

I looked at Devon, a bit confused, this wasn't his car.

Before I could say anything, the drivers side door opened.

My eyes widened as Henry, my newly found father, stepped out of the car.

He smiled at me, eyes full of kindness.

I was shocked, why was he here? I glanced at Devon for a moment as Henry came closer to us. I quickly turned my attention back to my dad.

"Emily." He said, his voice soft. "How are you?"

I crossed my arms and shrugged my shoulders.

"I'm alright, but what are you doing here?" I asked, he raised an eyebrow.

"Well, Devon invited me. He said you missed your family and well, your mother couldn't come so I came." Henry said honestly.

"Oh." Was all I could manage, I didn't really know what to say. I hadn't known Henry very long. I didn't want to say it was awkward but it was like seeing a family member you'd only met a couple times when you were a toddler.

"I also invited Henry here so he could teach you more about your water ability." Devon said next to me. My eyes widened a bit and excitement filled me. I smiled wide turning to Henry as he nodded, his eyes showing warmth, almost like he was proud.

"That's great! Let's start now!" I said to Henry and he chuckled.

Devon lead us to the river and stopped at the side of it, but Henry kept walking until he was knee deep in it, shoes and all. I followed and did the same, standing next to him, luckily I was in sandals.

When my feet touched the coolness of the water, a familiar rush of power flowed through me. However this time, I also got a sense of regret. This was where I had literally maimed Ryker, guilt set in for a moment.

I knew he was okay, both Devon and Xavier had assured me of that, but I still felt terrible nonetheless.

"Emily, are you alright?" Henry asked, noticing my sudden change in emotion.

I shock it off and smiled with a nod, trying to focus on the present instead of the past.

"Yeah I'm fine, go ahead." I said, he nodded and took a deep breath.

"First, I want you to show me what you can do." He said in a low but soft voice. I nodded and shut my eyes for a moment.

I felt the water flow around my legs, the coolness of it soothed me. I visualized it to move, using my hands to guide it.

When I opened my eyes, three rings of water surrounded me, protecting me. One was near my chest, the other around my waist, and the last one barely above the river.

Each one moved in a circular motion, they were far enough away from my body so that I could easily move and use my hands.

Henry nodded, seemingly impressed. He then moved his arms and the water moved with him. However, he didn't create rings like I did, instead he created a singular but large wave that curled around his body. Only the front of his head and neck was not blocked by his protective wave.

My eyes widened, I hadn't yet been able to control that much water, I could only make small amounts move.

"How did you do that?" I asked, he smiled, his dark red eyes shimmering.

"Practice, lots of practice. However you are doing much better than I expected, I couldn't do what you're doing until almost three years after I discovered I even had a water ability." Henry said, I raised a brow, a little surprised.

I didn't really think what I could do was that impressive. I mean Devon can create a literal wall of fire with a wave of his hand.

"So what you're saying is I just need to practice more? That's it?" He shrugged and nodded.

"With age comes wisdom, with wisdom comes strength." He responded. The water around him dropped but into the river.

"Can you create ice?" He asked, I nodded and took a breath. Concentrating, I made the rings around me straighten at my side and freeze into icicles, however instead of staying in the air, after a few moments they fell into the river and flowed down stream.

"I uh, still need to work on that." I said while Henry chuckled.

"No no that was good." He took a step back, he moved his hands above the water. It flowed up to him, once it came into contact with his skin, the water molded and froze until he was hold a sharp ice spear.

"Holy shit!" I said a bit loudly, I cursed under my breath while Devon laughed at me in the background. I narrowed my eyes at him.

"You can create a weapon with water and ice if needed, but the element itself is already your greatest weapon." Henry said to me, directing my attention back to him.

"Really only earth and water elements can do this, air and fire have to use different methods in order to defend themselves in a fight." I nodded fiercely.

Henry turned, getting into a throwing stance. He aimed and then threw the spear at a nearby tree. A loud sound emanated from the impact. The ice spear was at least half a foot deep in the large oak tree, a throw like that could easily kill someone.

"Now, you don't have to use your element like that, water can be molded into pretty much anything, use it to your advantage." He turned back to me. "Now, lastly, have you been able to use your element on things other than water?"

I raised a brow at him, confused by what he meant.

"Sometimes, a river will not be around you, you may find yourself in a barren area. However, there is always a last restore of 'water' within you."

As he spoke, Henry cut into his arm with his thumb nail, before it could heal, he used one hand to make the blood the leaked from the wound to move. I was shocked, and I even heard Devon make a surprised grunting sound as well.

"Not every water element can do this, I've only met one other person who could and she was the one who taught me this technique." His eyes grew a bit cold for a moment. "This should only be used as a last restore, when you are completely out of options, because taking blood from your own body can weaken you tremendously."

The droplets of blood he had taken from his arm dropped into the river, quickly flowing down the river. I turned to look at him again, his eyes softer now, kindness showing in them again.

"Last resort? What if I can't do that though?" I asked.

"Then your next best option is to fight with your hands or run." He said with a shrug, his eyes returned to their normal green and he smiled. "But since you are my daughter, I am certain you will be able to use this technique because the woman who taught me was my mother."

I smiled at Henry then, thankful for him being here. Even though he hadn't shown up in my life until recently, I hoped I would be seeing my father often and learning more from him.