Chapter 43

Devon

It took every last ounce of my strength not to collapse as I stood over Thane.

My knees felt weak supporting my own weight, my body was growing heavier every second.

Thanes head was bowed as he lightly clutched his chest, obviously in a lot of pain.

Even though he was weakened and wounded, a deep chuckled vibrated through his burnt chest.

"Shit man, that was impressive to say the least." Thane said as he tried to stand. He wobbled to his feet, I thought for sure he would fall over again any second. "That fire element must get you out of a lot of bad situations, I think if you didn't have it, you'd be dead by now." He snickered.

"You have to keep your end of the deal, I won, you must take your warriors and Bellona's far away from here." I said with a cold stare, doing my best to have a steady breath.

"Yes yes I'm aware, I am a man of my word." Thane turned his head slightly to the side, eyeing the warriors around us. He spoke in a low voice.

"Receptum, gather our brethren, we leave this land now." Thane turned to look at me. He bowed deeply, showing respect. "It was a good fight, better than I've had in years, I hope we meet again, Lord Devon."

I nodded, not really able to find the words. Thane turned, staggering a bit. His warriors raised curious eyebrows but started to retreat nonetheless.

They gathered up their wounded, but left their dead behind. I watched from a distance as Thane collected Bellona's still unconscious body. It shocked me that Malik was that strong to be able to keep her knocked out for so long.

As they walked away, and I could no longer see them as more than shapes in the distance, my body finally gave out. My knees buckled and I fell to the ground.

"Are you alright my lord?" I looked up through hazy vision to see Elijah crouching next to me. He was covered in blood and dirt, his eyes had a red hue to them.

"I'm fine." I muttered but didn't try to stand. "Please find Malik, tell him get Emily and Xavier." I said through staggered breaths.

"I don't believe that will be necessary." My brow furrowed and I looked up at him again. I followed his gaze to the edge of the forest to see Malik and Xavier. When I didn't immediately see Emily, my breath hitched and panic ran through me. Then I realized she was on Xavier's back passed out.

I breathed out a sigh of relief but only for a moment. I didn't know the extent of her injuries.

It was then I tried to stand. Elijah offered me his arm and I gladly took it until I was steady and on my feet. By then the trio had made their way to me.

"Xavier, is she alright?" I asked as he walked up to me.

"She's okay, just exhausted, you should have seen her fight." His voice gleamed pride, but there was a strange undertone to it.

"What about you? Are you injured?" I asked him, he simply shook his head. I looked at the sleeping beauty on his back. I could see she had somewhat dry blood stains on her, some of it wasn't hers though.

I looked to Malik, he was starring at her with a wild look in his eyes that caught me off guard. Before I could say anything, he turned and addressed the people around us.

"Warriors, find our wounded and dead, leave no man or woman behind. I will bring the doves out to help heal as many as possible." He turned and looked at Elijah who bowed immediately. "Come with me." Was all he said to him.

Elijah nodded and they headed inside the coven.

**********

Warriors brought the wounded forward as the humans began giving their blood. I never really realized how many doves there were in the coven until all of them stood outside, quickly offering their arm or neck for every warrior they could.

Katie had somehow managed to find me and offered her blood to me as well, I gladly accepted.

More wounded and dead vampires were found and brought to the coven. The number of dead outweighed the number still alive.

Malik made sure to separate our dead warriors and the enemies. I watched as Camilla, the master of the southern coven, vividly mourned the loss of Cyrus. She didn't just cry, she wept over his body, her broken heart portrayed in gushing tears.

I sat on the ground with Emily in my lap, she still hadn't awoken, which worried me slightly. Xavier sat next to me, watching her intently. I looked over at him.

"What happened out there?" I asked, I was curious why he had no injuries, none what so ever, his clothes were torn and his weapon that was held by his waist looked to be stained with blood, but other than that he seemed untouched. He flinched at the harshness in my voice, I hadn't meant to startle him, I was just confused.

"She saved me.... she killed all three of the men who attacked us. One of them men had.... killed me but.... then she gave me her blood and somehow, I survived." Xavier looked at me, my eyes wide.

"How is that possible?" I said stunned, he shrugged.

"Emily said it was probably due to her being the Electus. I mean, not only did she bring me back from death, her blood completely healed my body." He ran a hand lightly over his chest, as if feeling to make sure there wasn't a wound.

That explained why there wasn't a scratch on him. I pondered the idea that maybe it was possible Emily could have brought Xavier back to life, that maybe she had more gifts than I had originally thought.

Malik walked up to us then, his face grim.

"I want to give Cyrus Emilys blood." He said quickly, I furrowed my brow.

"Shes too weak, and I hardly doubt it would work." Cyrus had been dead for hours now, I could believe Emily was able to bring Xavier back after being dead for a couple minutes or less, but I wouldn't even think to try it on Cyrus.

"Please just, let her try. We don't have to wake her I can take some of her blood and give it to him." Malik said a little desperate.

"No!"

I peered around Malik at Camilla who held Cyrus in her arms only a few yards away. Her eyes were puffy and pink from crying, but there was anger in them.

"You will not give him her blood." She almost growled at Malik. He looked at her in confusion.

"What? Of all people I would have thought you would want him back the most!" He retorted with a growl of his own. The female master shook her head slightly, her golden curls moving in tune with the motion.

"It was his time, he was fully prepared to die for this coven and for the Electus. Malik, you cannot bring him back, I won't let you." Tears pooled in her eyes once again, but her expression didn't waiver from determination and anger.

Malik opened his mouth, but shut it almost immediately. I watched as his shoulders slumped.

"I'm sorry." He whispered, Camilla stared at him for a few more moments before she turned her attention back onto Cyrus.

Malik turned to me again, this time falling to the ground and sitting with us. Xavier quickly went to him, pulling his mate into his arms.

I watched for a moment before turning my attention back onto my own mate.

Emily still laid asleep in my lap. I hugged her closer to my chest and listened to her steady heartbeat.

The war was over, we had won.