Chapter 24

Cyrus

I awoke the next day in an oversized bed with too many pillows, slowly remembering I wasn't at home.

I sat up, looking around the room I would be staying in for another three nights. The entire coven had a theme I noticed, and that theme was old. Old paintings, old decor, old dead animal fur.

The thing that surprised me the most were the beds, they actually had updated covers and way to many pillows for one sane person.

I assumed it was only like this in the covens guest rooms, but I could be wrong.

I stood from the bed and stretched, feeling better than I had been for a few days.

Lately I had been extremely tired and weak, my body starting to give out on me. However, today was the first day in a while where I felt almost normal.

I knew why, being around the other master warriors was giving me more strength. There are only four known master warriors in existence, put the four of us in a room and our powers not only increase but also evenly distribute.

We are at our strongest when we are together, that is also true for a normal warrior vampire, all warriors are stronger in numbers, which is why covens were created in the first place.

I had forgotten what it felt like to be around other masters, it was one of the greatest and most annoying abilities of the masters.

I quickly got dressed and exited my room. As I came out into the main living area for this wing of the coven, my heart skipped a beat.

A woman sat on one of the couches, her slender legs crossed. Her curly dirty blond locks looked shorter than I remembered, but framed her face ever so perfectly. She looked at me with beautiful sea green eyes and a smile that could warm even the coldest of hearts.

"Camilla." I spurted louder than I had intended. She giggled for a second, her eyes shining.

"Cyrus, it's been awhile." She stood gracefully, walking towards me. Her short curls bounced slightly with each step. She stopped in front of me, hands clasped in front of her.

I cleared my throat, composing myself.

"I suppose it has." I said with a chuckle, I had forgotten how much of an idiot I act when I'm around her.

She smiled and leaned in towards me slightly.

"You stopped writing to me five years ago, want to explain?" Her eyes narrowed slightly, I swallowed the lump in my throat.

"Ah yes well uh-" I couldn't get the words to form and that made her laugh loudly.

"Cyrus I'm only messing with you, please come sit with me, let's catch up." Camilla turned and walked back to the spot she was sitting before. She patted the spot next to her, inviting me to join. I obeyed and moved to sit next to her.

"I heard you have chosen a successor, Malik is his name correct?" Her voice was more sullen now, her smile wavering slightly. For a master warrior, naming a successor means death is coming for the master, so picking Malik is basically telling the world my funeral is coming up.

"Yes, Malik has been my first in command for many decades now, I believe he will make an excellent leader for my coven." I said with a small smile.

"How much longer?" She asked looking up at me and putting her hand on top of mine.

"I'm not sure, a year or two I think, I might have ignored some of the first signs before even realizing it." I chuckled, trying to lighten the mood, but she looked at me with sad eyes and clutched my hand.

"I've missed you you know, I haven't seen you in over a decade, you stopped writing to me, hell there are phones now Cyrus, you could have even called." Camilla said looking down, her brow furrowing in anger.

I brought my free hand up to her chin, forcing her to look up at me.

"I know, I can't even begin to apologize to you, I shouldn't have cut you off, I don't even know why I did it." I said sincerely.

At one point in time, Camilla and I were very close, some might say in love. However, since we were both masters, we could never truly be together. Not only is it illegal, but it's also extremely difficult. So instead we merely sent letters back and forth, and only saw one another a few times over the eighty some years we had known each other.

I never told anyone about our relationship, and I assumed neither did she.

If the other masters found out, I'm not sure what would happened.

I let go of Camilla as I heard footsteps coming down the hall from where my room was.

Malik turned the corner a few moments later.

"Ah Malik, we were just speaking of you, come join us." I said, Malik nodded and walked over to us.

"This is Camilla, master of the southern coven." I said gesturing to her. Malik bowed to her, before siting.

"It's a pleasure to meet you master Camilla."

"And you Malik, Cyrus has spoken highly of you." She smiled sweetly at him, no hint of the sadness that was there a minute ago. "If you ever need any advice, please feel free to contact me, I'm not as stubborn or rude like the other masters." We all chuckled at her comment.

"Thank you, I appreciate it greatly." Malik said with a grin, he turned to me.

"My liege, if you don't mind, I'd like to go out into the coven and speak with the other warriors." I rose a brow at him but shrugged.

"Feel free, but remember, we are guests here." He nodded and stood, bowing to both Camilla and I before leaving.

I turned towards her once I knew we were completely alone again.

"He seems kind, and that's saying something for a warrior." She said with a small smile. "I think he will make an excellent master."

"So do I." I couldn't take my eyes off her. Memories flooded my mind every time I was near her. Like the first time we met in the southern coven, when I was still being taught by my previous master. She was the top warrior of her coven as well.

The first time I saw Camilla, my breath caught in my thought.

She was beyond beautiful.

Her hair was long and full of messy curls that fell gracefully down her small frame. Her eyes sparkled in the moonlight, along with her sweet smile that to this day makes my brain go blank.

I'd give anything to go back to that day.

"Camilla." I said softly. She turned, looking me in the eye. "This might be a long shot but," I leaned in closer, whispering softly in her ear.

"Would you like to come and continue our conversation in my room?"

Her eyes widened for a moment, but slowly, their sea green color turned dark red and she smirked.

"I thought you'd never ask, my love."