Chapter 19

Malik

It was late in the afternoon when we arrived back at the coven. The heat of summer was really kicking in and the suns blazing rays caused my eyes to ache even with thick sunglasses and tinted windows.

I pulled into the underground garage, followed by Ruby and Elijah in their own cars. As we exited our cars, Cyrus appeared from the elevator across the parking lot. It had only been a couple weeks since I had seen him but for some reason he looked as if he had aged decades. He had dark circles underneath his eyes and he seemed to had lost some weight. The wrinkles at the corners of his eyes looked deep and when he walked he looked almost unsteady.

"Good afternoon warriors, I'm happy to see you made it home, however, I need you all to come with me before you can rest." He kept his hands behind his back and stood straight as a board. I raised a brow, curious as to what was wrong with the master warrior.

He turned back around, I glanced at my comrades to see if they also noticed the sudden change but they just started walking, completely oblivious.

I looked forward and followed as well. We all entered the elevator, Cyrus asked us about the drive back and talked about how he hadn't seen the mountains since he was young. I couldn't stop staring at his face, there was no good way to put it, he looked dreadful.

When we made it to Cyrus's office, he fell into his chair as if the elevator ride had exhausted him. I pretended not to notice and stood next to Ruby and Elijah, waiting for our master to speak.

"Shortly after Ruby told me what the three of you discovered, I received a letter from Bellona herself." Cyrus said while pulling out a folded piece of paper from his desk. "She sent this and two other letters to our other sister covens."

"What does the letter say my liege?" I asked, Cyrus turned his focus onto me, his eyes reminding me of a raccoons.

"She's calling a state of emergency and wants each master warrior to come to the Western coven."

My eyes widened, emergency? That seemed a little much.

The last time an emergency was declared was almost eighty years ago during the second human world war.

"My liege, is she calling an emergency because of the Electus?" Ruby asked, Cyrus shrugged.

"Most likely, the letter didn't say of course, but I am required to go, I have a flight tomorrow at ten in the evening." He stood, pushing up from the chair. "Now, there's the business of who will be in charge while I'm gone."

I felt Elijah immediately stand up straighter, as if anticipating his name to be called. Ruby didn't waiver while I kept my eyes forward.

"Ruby, I want you to do it." My head jerked up and I looked over at Ruby. She looked as surprised as the rest of us.

"M-my liege, I'm honored but are you sure?" Ruby said, the master warrior nodded.

"Yes, report back here tomorrow night at seven." Cyrus responded quickly, Ruby bowed deeply, still seeming a little shocked. "You and Elijah are dismissed." He spoke again, this time with a flat tone.

Ruby and Elijah quickly bowed, I caught a glance at Elijah's face as he turned, he looked fairly disappointed he wasn't picked. He was a nice guy and a great warrior, he had the brawn but lacked some of the brains. Ruby was much more qualified to lead in my opinion.

When they left, Cyrus gestured for me to sit in one of the leather chairs in front of his desk. I complied, the master warrior also sat and rubbed his eyes.

"Malik, I'm sure you're surprised I picked Ruby over you, but I have my reasons." He started but I shook my head.

"No my liege, she is an excellent warrior and she will make a great leader for this coven one day." I kept an expressionless face and looked forward. Cyrus shook his head.

"Yes, but I only want her to stay here so you can come with me to the western coven."

My eyes widened and I met the master warriors gaze.

"What? Isn't that illegal?" I asked shocked.

"You can't come into the meeting, but..." he trailed off, rubbing his eyes again. I waited patiently for him to speak again.

"Malik I'm sure you've noticed already, my health has begun to deteriorate. I'm a hundred and thirty two, I thought I'd still have another few good years left but Father Time is starting to catch up with me." He looked at me then, really looked at me, years of wisdom and trust bore into my soul, and I was surprised to feel sadness begin to build inside of me.

"Malik, you have been a part of this coven for over forty years, you've been my right hand for thirty of those years. I want you to be my successor when my time comes." My breath caught in my throat, a mixture of fear and sorrow choked me. I didn't know what to say, I just stared at Cyrus.

I had known this man for most of my life, yet I never saw him more than the master warrior of my coven. I hated him for a long time because he chose me to come to the coven and leave my family, he chose me to become his second in command, and now he was choosing me to lead the coven in his place.

I cleared my throat, straightening my posture.

"I- my liege, I don't know what to say." I managed to get out, Cyrus chuckled.

"You don't have to say anything, go home, get some rest tonight, pack tomorrow and be here with Ruby in the evening." He said and leaned back in his chair.

I stood slowly and bowed respectfully, still a bit in shock.

"Yes my liege, thank you." I said, looking at the master warrior. He nodded, as if giving me my cue to leave.

I turned and headed out the door, quickly making my way home.

Before I knew it, I was walking into my home. I did my best to be quiet, but my efforts were useless due to Xavier's crazy good hearing.

"Malik?" He called out sleepily from our bedroom. I took off my shoes and headed through the door. My heart skipped a beat when I saw him. My mate laid half under the covers, his hair messy and his eyes half shut. He looked beautiful in the dim light.

I walked over to the bed, dragging my feet, suddenly exhausted.

I wrapped my arms around his smaller frame and buried my face in the crook of his neck, breathing in his scent, relaxing every muscle in my body.

"Everything okay honey?" Xavier whispered.

"Tell you later, tired." I mumbled. He kissed my cheek, and I quickly feel into a much needed sleep.