Chapter 37

Warning!!!
Violence and depictions of death ahead.
Enjoy!!

Malik

My blade went through my opponents chest and sliced up through his shoulder with ease. His body fell to the ground, the blood spurting out onto my already stained pants.

I stared at him for a few moments, watching as his body went limp and lifeless.

I turned around to look for Cyrus, but alarm bells went off in my head when I couldn't see him.

I rushed around, looking in all directions.

My heart kicked up a few beats, I had only been fighting for a couple minutes, where the hell did he go?

I move through the calamity, avoiding blades and bodies. I reached the out skirts of fighting and looked around wildly, trying to see him.

I knew he was in trouble, something in my gut was screaming at me to get to him.

He had been fighting Bellona, which made me worry more. Cyrus was a very powerful warrior, but so was she.

Then, it hit me.

A sharp, agonizing pain in the middle of my back.

For a second I thought someone had stabbed me, I turned around to see who had attacked me but there was nothing, no warrior, no wound or blood either.

I gritted my teeth, Cyrus had been hit and based on the pain, he was probably badly injured.

I ran, looking everywhere, how far had Bellona taken him!?

Finally I spotted him near the tree line far from the coven. Bellona held him down on his back, a dagger to his throat. They were alone, no others were in sight, how had she managed to get him here?

I yelled, but I was too pfar away for them to hear me through the chaos. I tried to run to him, but then I felt a pain in my neck that stopped me dead in my tracks.

I watched as Bellona pushed down the blade deep into my masters neck. His blood coming out in a dark red heavy stream.

I almost screamed in agony, the pain was so unbearable that I thought my neck must have had to been cut too.

Then it was gone, everything was gone.

I could no longer feel Cyrus or the pain he had just gone through.

Instead, I felt a rush of power through my veins. It stung, but somehow in a good way.

I dropped to my knees, my vision blurred for a few moments. I felt it from the top of my head to the tips of my toes, it was like lightning had struck me.

It was then that I realized, I was now the master warrior of the Eastern coven.

I stood slowly, I felt powerful, almost invincible.

So this is what it was like to be a master.

I looked forward, Bellona now stood over Cyrus's lifeless body, a smirk on her lips.

Anger began to set in and my eyes narrowed into slits. All I could see was red.

I roared with fury and charged with a speed I had never been able to reach before.

Within seconds I grabbed Bellona by the throat and pinned her to a tree. At first she seemed surprised, then her devilish smile came back.

"So you found me little warrior." Her eyes widened for a moment. "Ah, I mean, Master warrior. How does it feel? Having all that strength, all that power? Pretty good right?"

I tightened my grip around her neck and she gasped, but that smile never left her face. She reached her hands up to grab my hand that was on her throat, digging her sharp nails deep into my flesh drawing blood, but I hardly noticed.

"I did you a favor Malik, you're a master now, you should be thanking me." Bellona strained to speak, the words coming out as a harsh whisper.

"You murdered him." I growled, sounding more animal than anything. I squeezed harder, blood began to pool underneath her porcelain skin, causing ugly bruises.

She dug onto my hand harder, trying to pry it off, her nails breaking skin that healed too fast to cause any real damage.

I wanted her to suffer, I wanted to watch the light from her eyes disappear. I could feel her increasing heart rate under my hand, fear began to set in for her.

I squeezed until blood started to run down her chest, her eyes bulged slightly, and I was finally able to force that awful smile off her face.

Her nails began to break off in my skin as desperation set in to get me to stop. I couldn't stop, wouldn't stop.

Tears started to swell in my eyes, she killed Cyrus, she murdered my master, my friend.

"Malik!" I heard someone call my name from behind me. I turned slightly to see Devon only a few feet away from me.

"Don't do it Malik, you've already beat her, don't kill her. This isn't the right way to do this."

"Why the fuck not?!" I yelled back at him. "She killed Cyrus, it's only fair."

"If you kill her, you'll stoop to her level, you'll be just as awful as her, and it will haunt you for the rest of your life." He took a few steps closer. "Believe me! I killed my brother and everyday I see his face, I hear his voice."

"You had to kill him, he was going to use Emily to hurt others, this is no different." I turned back to Bellona, her heart beat had slowed, the lack of blood reaching her head had caused her face to pale and her lips to turn blue.

"It is different! I regret killing Aaron, everyday I think maybe if I had tried to talk to him he would have changed." Devon closed the gap between us, standing only a foot behind me. "Don't do it, I promise you will regret it."

At first, I didn't listen, I kept my tight hold on Bellonas neck. I was going to end her wretched life with a snap on my wrist, but then, Xavier flashed through my mind.

What would he think of me? Killing someone like this in cold blood and anger? She couldn't even fight back, yes she killed Cyrus but Devon was right, I would be stooping to her level.

I released Bellona, she crumbled to the ground and gasped for air. She coughed and held her throat in pain until she passed out.

I watched her in disgust, but anger was soon replaced by sadness as tears threatened to fall.

Devon put his hand on my shoulder and squeezed it.

"Cyrus would be proud." He said softly.

I turned my head slightly to see the lifeless corpse of my master.

A single tear escaped and rolled down my cheek, and a thought went through my mind.

Cyrus is dead, and I am his successor.