Chapter 36

Devon

Everything happened so fast that I barely had time to react.

Before I knew it, bodies started to fall to the ground, the smell of blood stank the air around me. Warriors yelled, weapons clashed together, all hell was breaking loose.

I could see the archers up in the trees shooting arrows down at the warriors below. I saw people attack with their weapons, cutting body parts off in swift motions.

At first, I stood still, taking in the horrors in front of me.

Then, two warriors covered in blood started to move towards me. Both were large men, one had a morning star while the other had a throwing axe.

They looked at each other, one shouted at the other "that's him!."

I took a step back and readied myself for their attack, it was a quick fight.

The one with the axe came at me first, I simply pushed him away with my fire, burning the entire front of his body.

The next was more careful, avoiding my flames, he was even able to get a foot close to me.

The man swung his morning star, aiming for my head. I ducked and kicked my leg out at his knees.

There was a loud crack and he fell to the ground, dropping his weapon.

I picked it up and swung the spiked ball into his chest, breaking his sternum into pieces.

As I stood straight, I quickly checked to see if any of the enemy had gone towards the direction of the river. The archers were doing their job at keeping everyone in one area, no one had even gotten close.

I didn't actually know where Emily and Xavier were, I only knew they were near the river.

I looked over to my right as four more warriors charged towards me.

I turned, ready to fight again as I silently hoped Emily was alright.

                     **********
Bellona

I watched as another one of my warriors fell to the ground dead.

Anger boiled through my veins, how could they be so weak?

Thane stood beside me, weapon in hand, ready to charge in at any moment.

A noise from behind caught my attention and I turned to see my three elite warriors bowing to me.

"My liege, we have spotted Lord Devon, but his mate is nowhere in sight." Alister, my strongest and smartest warrior said still bowing.

"They've hidden her, she can't be far." I thought for a moment, trying to figure it out. I remembered what Cyrus had said about how the electus had a water element ability.

A smile formed on my lips.

"Check the river, she can't be far, the second you see the electus, eliminate her and anyone that is protecting her." My warriors bowed and left so quickly I almost didn't see it.

I crossed my arms and leaned against a tree.

"Shall we go into battle Bell?" Thane asked from beside me, his impatience getting the better of him.