Chapter 15

Emily

Cyrus called Devon and told him to meet up in his office, so he asked Xavier to hang out with me. I had no problem with that, but I keep finding myself wondering what Cyrus and Devon talk about. It seemed like they spent every other day together, as if they were bros or something.

I shook the odd thought away, it probably wasn't my business anyways.

"So what are we doing today? Hulu or Netflix?" I asked Xavier, turning to look at him in the chair across the bedroom, he shook his head quickly.

"Neither, we're going outside." He said with a small smile. I nearly jumped off the bed in excitement.

"What? Really?!" I asked a bit loudly, Xavier chuckled softly.

"Yeah, I'm itching to get out of this stuffy building for a bit, aren't you?" I nodded eagerly, it felt like I had been stuck in this place for an eternity.

We quickly left the room and marched down the hall to the elevator. Once inside, Xavier hit the button for the lobby and the elevator doors shut.

When they opened again, we were greeted by turning heads and low whispers. We stepped out of the elevator and headed towards the front doors, ignoring the room of gawking warriors. However, we were stopped by one, a cocky looking man with dirty blonde hair and grayish eyes. He was younger, his body looked built but still pretty skinny.

He stood up from one of the couches that were on the right side of the entrance doors and blocked our path. He was like a skyscraper to me, this guy had to be at least 6'5. He crossed his arms in front of him leaning down to look me in the eye.

"So, you're the Electus huh? I'm not really impressed, you're so tiny." He had a bit of a mocking tone which I didn't appreciate, but before I could call him an ugly giant, Xavier stepped in front of me.

"Back off Ryker, I have orders." Xavier spoke in a low voice, almost scary, but Ryker didn't seem phased. Xavier wasn't that scary looking, and I'm pretty sure he couldn't put up to much of a fight.

"Alright puppy, ease up, I'm not going to hurt the girl, I just wanna see what she's got." Ryker took a step forward, but Xavier didn't budge. Everyone in the room had stopped what they were doing, all eyes were on the three of us.

"No, like I said, I have orders, so back off or you'll hear from Cyrus." Xavier stood his ground, his eyes locked onto Rykers. I crossed my arms and shook my head.

"Xavier, if this giraffe wants to 'see what I got' I'll be happy to show him." I glared at Ryker, who turned his attention back to me, a newfound glint in his eyes.

"Oh yeah? Are you sure about that, little newborn?" He sneered. Xavier looked like he was about to protest but I spoke before he could.

"Yep, we were just about to go outside, why don't you come out with us so I can really show you what I got." I gave him a small but devious grin. I knew this was a bit out of character for me, I wasn't the type of girl to start a fight, but this guy really pissed me off. 

"Alright, you're on, tiny Electus."

                      **********

My confidence decreased once we were out the doors. Everyone in the lobby had followed us outside, some chatted while others just gawked at me. I also noticed some would sniff the air around me, as if trying to make sense of my weird hybrid scent.

The night looked luminous due to the almost full moon, and it was surprisingly warm out. Animals and bugs called out from the forest, and the trees seemed alive and bright.

I stood about five feet away from the river, my back to it while the giant Ryker stood a few yards in front of me. Xavier was off to the side, a look of worry was painted on his face. He walked up to me and grabbed my arm lightly.

"This is a bad idea, you need to tell him to back off." He said, I shook my head firmly.

"No way, I'll look weak if I do, besides I think I'll be okay." I tried to sound confident while I swallowed the lump in my throat.

"If you get hurt, Devon will kill me and Cyrus will exile me." I shook my head.

"This was my idea, you won't get in any trouble, let me deal with them after." I said, Xavier sighed.

"Okay fine but listen." He leaned in a little closer, whispering in my ear. "Ry is strong, but he isn't very fast, and his eye sight is superb. If this was an archery match I would have told you to just accept defeat."

"Oh so you think I have a chance then?" I asked with a smirk, Xavier shrugged slightly.

"Maybe with the water, but you're still a bit unstable and you don't know how to control it very well and you-"

"Okay okay I get it, thanks for the pep talk." I rolled my eyes, Xavier muttered a quick sorry before running back over to the sidelines.

I took a deep breath, trying to calm my nerves before facing Ryker. His grin reached ear to ear, his ego and confidence practically seeping from his pores.

"You ready little girl?" He said into the wind, I smirked, pushing my doubts and fears aside.

"Go ahead King Kong." I heard him chuckle before he charged. His movements weren't as fast as Devon's, but I was still caught off guard. I didn't react fast enough, I just starred at him coming towards me, my body frozen. Before I knew it, I was flying in the air with an intense pain vibrating through my body from my gut.

I hit the ground hard, Rykers punch to my stomach ached badly, I'm pretty sure if I was fully human I'd be dead from that kind of blow. I stood up quickly, ignoring the pain, even though I felt like I'd been hit by a truck on the highway. Ryker smiled triumphantly, almost teasingly, his eyes a burning red.

"Had enough?" He shouted, I responded with a glare. It was then I realized I had landed right next to the river. I turned to the water and without really thinking I just jumped in. The water only came up to my knees, but the second I felt it, something stirred within me. I immediately felt stronger, my stomach barely hurt now. I turned back towards Ryker, who seemed confused at my actions. I smirked and gave him a challenging look.

"Try and do that again."