Chapter 34

Devon

Tomorrow the western and northern warrior covens would be here.

Tomorrow, as in tonight by sunset.

The past week had been nothing but training, preparing everyone for war and battle tactics.

I was impressed with Cyrus and his plan, but I had my doubts. 

I ran my hand through my hair, anxiety creeping up on me.

I wasn't worried about me of course, it was Emily I was silently freaking out about.

I wouldn't be with her tomorrow, I wouldn't be the one to protect her.

I understood why, I knew it would be better if she wasn't next to me because that's what they'd expect.

But I still couldn't shake off my nervousness and worry. I had faith in Xavier and I knew Emily could protect herself if needed.

The bathroom door opened and Emily stepped out in shorts and a gray t-shirt. Her long hair was damp, causing her shirt to have some darker spots from the water.

She smiled at me and walked over to where I was sitting on the bed.

She leaned in, placing her hands on my knees and kissing my forehead.

"I can practically hear your train of thought, stop worrying so much, everything will be okay." Her voice was soft and soothing, making me almost believe it.

I did my best to smile, I grabbed onto Emily's arms and pulled her on top of me.

We laid on the bed, her wet hair soaking into my shirt as she laid her head on my chest.

I held her tightly, doing my best to not think of every worst case scenario of tomorrow's events.

She twitched under my arms, I could tell she was noticing my worry as if it was a dark cloud above my head.

"Devon, I'll be okay, Xavier and I will be hidden away from the action, and I'll be right next to the river so I can protect myself if I need to." Emily said turning up to look me in the eyes.

I cupped one hand to her cheek.

She was so beautiful.

I couldn't even form the words in my head, all the things I wanted to say to her.

This girl, no, this woman, was my soul, my love, my new reason for existing.

Before I met her, my life was dark, I had grown bored of living. I was constantly on auto pilot, just going through the days and weeks, not really thinking or caring.

Then, when I first held her in my arms, it was like the fire within me roared back to life.

I didn't realize it at first, or maybe I didn't want to see it, but as time went by, I couldn't ignore it any longer.

I pulled her closer to me until our lips met. She moved until she was straddling my waist, her fingers threading through my hair.

Emily slowly leaned back a little, staring down at me with a soft smile. 

"I love you." I whispered, her smile grew.