Chapter 9

Cyrus

Malik arrived immediately at sunset, followed closely behind Elijah and Ruby. My top three warriors, each with outstanding physical abilities, the champions of my coven. One of them would surely take my place, either by force or after my death. The three were close and worked together often, however they would one day have to fight each other so that one could become the new master warrior.

Each of them had their own unique abilities, and when put together they are unstoppable. Ruby was a master at stealth, shes able to hid her scent, silence her breath, and even slow her heart rate so low you can't hear it until she's right behind you. However she lacks muscle, she could easily be over taken by force. The only way she can kill her target is with the element of surprise.

Elijah on the other hand had strength, he was definitely the brawn of the group. I'd bet on him in any fist fight, even against myself. Although he lacked communication and planning, he is the one who runs into battle thinking strength and an axe can win a war.

Then there's Malik, my first in command and who I hope will be the one to take my place. His skills of planning are immeasurable, a true genius when it comes to figuring out how to find his enemies weakness. He is quick with a short blade and swift with a sword. He has the strength of ten men and the intelligence of a hundred. However, he does have a weakness, his mate.

Many of the warriors within the coven have a mate, it is not uncommon, but with Malik being my top warrior, his dedication to the coven is of the upmost importance. Xavier could be the one weakness that changes his dedication to betrayal.

"Warriors, your mission is quite simple, I need you to travel to the western coven. The master warrior Bellona has been under my radar for quite sometime, so I'll need to to infiltrate and gain information as best as you can." The three eyed my with questions but only Elijah spoke.

"My liege, what information exactly?" The other two silently nodded in agreement, their questions similar to his.

"I have reasons to suspect our sister coven does not like that we are harboring the Electus within our walls. I have received letters, death threats even to eliminate her. I want you three to go there and find out if they are preparing to pay us a visit." The three bowed, almost in unison.

"Anything else my liege?" Ruby spoke this time while still bowing.

"No, you will leave at once. You may take your assigned cars, money and your weapons are already in them." Malik stood up first, his expression weary.

"My liege, if this is just an intel mission, why send us? And why send us with weapons?" He said, I knew he would be the one to question my plan.

"I know you three will get the job done and get it done right, the weapons are for protection, and if need be, brute force. If you understand the mission, leave now."

"Yes my liege." They spoke in unison, bowing once more before leaving.

When they were gone, I walked over to my desk. I picked up the small pile of open envelopes, each containing a letter from the western coven. The words stained the papers in black ink, each reading threats and warnings. Bellona was not happy with the finding of the Electus, however I doubt she knew Emily had turned, I believe she only suspected.

Still, I feared she and her coven were already on their way here.  

                       **********

Emily

I didn't wake up until about an hour after sunset. Devon was not in the bed with me, so I sat up and listened to see if he was in the bathroom. I didn't hear anything, no movement or breathing.

I got out of bed and quickly dressed, going into the bathroom to brush my hair and teeth. I had no idea when Devon would be back, usually when I woke up and he wasn't here Xavier would be sitting in the chair across the room reading a book.

I sighed, not sure what to do besides wait and watch some tv or read. Then a thought crossed my mind. I could always just go find Xavier, he had told me his apartment number and I think I knew which floor he was on.

I exited the room I was in and walked down the hall to the elevator. However I decided to take the stairs, I didn't want to be trapped in a small space with someone who might see me as a meal or wanted me dead. I opened the iron door on the side of the hall, to my surprise fluorescent lights turned on. I blinked a few times, the fake lighting burning my eyes for a few moments, even making them water. I quickly walked down the stairs, trying to think of what floor Xavier was on.

I knew his apartment number was 213, but I couldn't remember which floor. So I just thought I'd try each of them until I found the right one.

As I exited the stairway and opened the iron door to the fourth floor, I immediately realized this was a very bad idea.

The scent of humans consumed the air around me, making my throat dry and my fangs lengthen. I wanted to turn back right then and there, but a noise from the other end of the hall caught my attention.

Two girls laughing and chatting, I wanted to get closer to them. My feet moved before my mind could register what I was doing. I moved down the hall at a steady pace, passing doors with numbers on them. My body began to ache with every step, the sweet smell of humans surrounded me.

At the end of the hall I turned the corner to find two women sitting on a couch facing a tv. One looked only a few years older than me with beach blonde hair, the other girl was a little older with tan skin and dark brown hair. They didn't notice me at first, but the women closes to me, the blonde one, turned and met my eyes.

"Oh my gosh you scarred me!" She held her chest and took a deep breath. Now two pairs of eyes were looking at me, one bright blue and the other chocolate brown.

I breathed in slowly, trying to collect my thoughts, both of their scents were overwhelming. The blonde reminded me of blueberries and vanilla, while the brunette reminded me of ginger and sugar cane. I could hear their heart beats, I could see the movement of their veins as-

"Hey are you okay?" The blonde spoke again, I snapped my head up. I needed to get out of here, why did I think this was a good idea?

"Clara, I think she's the newborn." The brunette whispered to the blonde, making her gasp. She leaned forward slightly in her seat, eyeing me in a serious manner.

"You need to get out of here, now." Clara said very calmly. It was at that moment I regained control over my own body and bolted down the hall. I didn't stop when I got to the stairwell, practically flying up each step.

The scent of humans still engulfed me, as if lingering in every pore of my skin. It was maddening, my hunger was starting to take over. I wanted so desperately to run back down those stairs, straight down the hall and rip into both of those girls throats.

When I opened the iron door on the fifth floor I ran into someone, knocking both of us off our feet. It was a man, I heard him grunt when his back hit the floor. Although I didn't care to glance at his face to see who it was as I bit into his neck.