Chapter 13

Malik

"The western coven is just up ahead." Elijah said from beside me, Ruby and I nodded. The coven was deep within the Rocky Mountains, no motor vehicle would make it through the rocky terrain and snowy woods. We traveled on foot, moving swiftly through the night, nothing but a blur to the naked eye.

The air around us was chilled and the sky was beautifully clear. Every star and constellation was visible, making the night look brighter, more alive. The twinkling diamonds up above me and the massive snow covered pine surrounding me made an excited chill go down my spine. I felt alive, and yet, something was missing.

It was breath taking of course, however as I ran I couldn't help but think about my Xavier. I wanted to bring him here one day, we could take a night hike and stare up at the stars.

It was then I felt a sharp sting of longing, I would much rather be here with my mate, or at least be at home with him.

I mentally shook myself, this was no time to be daydreaming, I was on a mission. I looked for Ruby and Elijah, both were only a few yards behind me. I looked forward again and started to slow my pace as I heard voices in the wind. My comrades slowed down as well, we all came to a stop and listened closely.

I looked up, seeing I was below a very tall tree, I thought I would be able to get a better view if I was a little higher. I jumped up high and grabbed a branch, pulling myself up and climbing until I was a good fifty feet from the ground. From my perch I could clearly see the western warrior coven.

This coven was much different than the one I had come to know. This one looked much smaller, however I knew why that was. Decades ago, the western coven decided to build their home only partially above ground for fear of avalanches destroying their home. I could not see any lights inside the above ground part of the building, but on the outside walls were torches hanging next to the entrance. Two warriors stood in front of the building, guarding it I assumed. Just from looking at them I could tell they were young and inexperienced in battle.

A noise shifted my focus as a woman walked out of the building, followed by another two warriors. She exhumed power only a master warrior could have. This was Bellona, I was sure of it. Her pale blond hair was long but neatly braided down her back, not a single hair out of place. She stood taller than most women, and just like my own master warrior, she felt powerful even from this distance.

I was afraid she would sense me, I was up on a hill in a tree looking over the coven, hundreds of feet up and away from the building, but if anyone could sense me from this distance it would be her. I made sure my breath and heart rate were slowed, almost nonexistent and I hoped my comrades were doing the same. I watched the master warrior closely, making sure she didn't look in my direction.

I could see her speaking to one of the men following her, yet I only heard certain words due to the wind and how softly she spoke.

"Prepare..... Warriors..... travel..... woman.... eliminate....."

My eyes widened slightly as I heard both men following her say "yes my liege." I waited at my perch until I knew for sure Bellona was gone. I jumped from the tree to the ground near my comrades. They both looked at me, their eyes asking millions of questions, but they did not speak.

I motioned for them to follow me, we needed to leave the area quickly before someone noticed our presence.

The three of us ran once again through the snowy terrain, this time taking a different route just to be safe. It wasn't until we were miles from the coven when Ruby spoke up.

"What did you see?" She asked as we all slowed down to take a small break from running. I looked at the two warriors in front of me, both with curious expressions. Their dark red eyes locked onto me as if I was about to tell them the story of a lifetime.

"Bellona, she was exiting the coven with two warriors." I responded, Elijah raised his brow at me.

"Did she say anything or do anything besides leave? Why did you make us retreat?" He crossed his arms, he was always very impatient.

"She spoke to the men following her but it was very hard to hear what she said, she spoke softly, as if she knew someone might be listening." I paused for a moment before continuing. "I caught some words she spoke, and I fear Master Cyrus was correct, the western coven will soon be paying us a visit."

**********

Cyrus

Her power was surely something to be feared. I had met many vampires in my life, most of course warriors of my coven. I have also met many vampires with elemental ability's. Devon, for example, was one of the strongest fire element wielders I had ever witnessed. Even his mother, who also had a fire ability, was no match for her son.

But Emily, her power was..... different.

I had only met three other vampires with water elements, one of which could not change water to ice. The other two could, but never enough to produce enough strength to crack a hard concrete wall.

Emily's father was apparently a water elemental, but I had never actually seen him use his element before. Maybe his ability was just as strong as his daughters? I didn't know much about the man, I had only met him once and he didn't impress me much.

What of the mother though? She was human, I knew that much, but did she harbor any secrets? How is it a human woman gave birth to such a powerful being? It seemed unrealistic, sure this is what the legend spoke of but there must be something missing.

I rolled over in my bed, looking at the clock and seeing it was midday. My brain rattled at all the possibilities, what was this girl capable of? How does she even exist? And should I be worried of what she might do?

Maybe it would be a good idea to bring the parents here, question them, see how much they really know. That might anger Emily however, seeing as she'd probably lose it the second she saw her human mother. The father however was vampire, and nobility at that. He could have the answers I'm looking for, at least I hoped.

Thoughts swirled through my mind, tonight would be yet another sleepless one.