Chapter 18

Devon

I rolled over in bed, reaching out for Emily, but when I realized she wasn't there I opened my eyes. Looking around, I noticed the bathroom door was shut so I tried to listen in to see what she was doing.

I heard nothing, no movement, no water running, if fact I could barely hear her breath....

I jumped out of bed and ran into the bathroom. Looking down I found Emily slumped against the wall. She looked like a corpse; her skin was chalky white and her eyes had dark circles around them, my heart dropped to my stomach at the sight of her.

Immediately I crouched down and lifted her onto my lap. I brought my forearm up to my mouth and tore the flesh open, causing blood to seep from the wound. I quickly held my arm to her mouth, forcing my blood into her body. It only took a few seconds before she bit down and began to drink vigorously from me.

Her bite caused waves of euphoria through my body, causing my vision to blur in and out of focus. I ignored it the best I could, my attention fully on Emily.

She drank until I barely had anything left, I almost thought she would make me pass out. She stopped though as my vision started to get dark.

"Are you alright?" I asked when Emily's eyes met mine.

"I'm pretty sure I should be the one asking that, I took too much." She looked down at my bitten arm, which was taking its time to heal.

"What were you doing in here Em? Why didn't you wake me up?" She didn't meet my eyes but I could see the shame and sorrow within them.

"I didn't want to be a bother." She said quietly, but I knew from the tone of her voice she was lying. I wanted to confront her and ask again, but the look on her face told me she wasn't ready to talk about it. I sighed, pretending to be convinced by her answer. I made a mental note to ask about it later though.

"Emily, you will never be a bother, you only need ask or call and I will be at your side in seconds." I held her tightly to me, laying a soft kiss on her forehead.

"I know, I'm sorry." I nodded, standing up and putting my hand out. She grabbed it and I helped her to her feet. She looked tired so I ushered her to the bed.

"You can take a nap if you want." I said sitting next to her, she nodded and laid down.

"Lay with me?" She mumbled, I smiled and laid down next to her, wrapping my arms around her small frame.

It didn't take long before she fell asleep. I was tired physically, Emily had basically drained me, but my eyes wouldn't shut.

Slowly I got out of bed, doing my best not to wake Emily who was quietly snoring. I put on a clean shirt and a pair of shoes before heading out the door.

I made my way to the stairwell and went to the fourth floor. As I opened the heavy iron door, the scent of humans washed over me and I began to feel my throat dry up.

I went to the second apartment door on the right, room 404, and knocked a few times. I heard movement inside before the door opened.

"Christ it's three in the afternoon what-" she stopped the second she looked up at me. "Oh shit, I'm so sorry lord Devon, I didn't realize it was you." She bowed quickly, her short brown hair falling in front of her face.

"It's fine Katie, I'm sorry for waking you, may I come in?" I asked softly, she nodded hard and opened the door wide.

"You can go ahead and have a seat on the couch, I'm just gonna uh put on some pants." She mumbled after closing the door and walked to her bedroom. I hadn't even noticed she was only in an oversized t-shirt, I was more focused on other things, like keeping my composure.

Katie walked out of her bedroom not even a minute later and sat down next to me on the couch.

"So, why are you here so early, I thought I might see you today but I was expecting you a bit later."

"Yeah well I couldn't sleep anymore and couldn't really wait." I spoke softly, my voice a bit raspy.

"I can tell, go ahead and take some, not to much though please." She turned so her back was facing me and moved her head to the side.

I looked at her tanned skin before lightly grabbing onto her shoulders and biting down at the nape of her neck. Katie gasped and tensed for a second, but quickly relaxed. She was pretty use to my bite, I had been coming mostly only to her ever since we arrived at the coven.

She stayed still for the most part, but she would make small noises whenever I bit down harder.

After getting my fill, I released myself from her neck. Katie slouched for a moment, weak from my feast, I held onto her shoulders while she collected herself.

She slowly sat up straight and turned, leaning back against the couch.

"Thank you, again I'm sorry for the late intrusion." I said quietly, she weakly shook her head.

"No it's fine, you're the only one feeding from me right now so it's really no trouble, come whenever you need." She said with a soft smile.

"Can I get you anything?" I asked standing, I didn't mean to take as much as I did, humans are already so weak.

"No I'm okay, I'll just rest for a little, you should get back to lady Emily." Katie closed her eyes then and I could see her breathing was a bit shaky. I ignored what she said  and started to walk towards the small kitchen.

"I insist you at least drink something." She stayed silent this time, I opened the fridge and grabbed the orange juice. As I began pouring her drink, a thought crossed through my mind.

"Actually, I have another request for you Katie." I watched her eyes open, a little confused.

"Yes my lord?"

"Firstly, when we aren't around others, Devon is fine." I picked up the now full glass of OJ and walked back over to her.

"Noted." She said taking the glass from me and lightly sipping the juice. "Now what's the real request?"

I let her take a few more sips before speaking, I could already tell she was gaining back some color in her cheeks.

"Well, it's about Emily." I responded, she nodded, telling me to go on.

"She's been turned for almost two months now, and I think it's about time she feed from a human, I was wondering if you would be the one to do it." I looked at her face for any signs of fear or confusion, but she seemed completely fine with the idea so I continued "I would be there of course to make sure no harm would come to you, and I'd want the two of you to be in the same room for awhile before so she could get use to your scent."

Katie set her now half empty glass on the coffee table. It didn't take long for her to answer.

"Okay, I'll do it." I raised a brow.

"Are you sure? I can't guarantee nothing bad will happen. Emily hasn't really been exposed to humans much."

"I know what happened with Chanel, and I know what happened when Emily accidentally came onto the fourth floor, but I'm not worried." She looked at me with a small smile. "You speak so highly of her, I'd be honored to help."

I nodded and smiled back, content with her answer. Katie had been a red dove since she was seventeen and has lived within the coven walls for almost six years.

She had told me about her life before she became a dove. She was abandoned by her mother at the age of seven and moved from foster home to foster home until she ran away when she was fifteen. Shortly after that, Katie met a vampire woman who took her in and eventually she became a dove.

Katie was a very kind girl and I knew she would be prefect for Emily, and I hoped they would become friends.

"Thank you, I will let you know when the two of you will meet. For now, just rest." I stood again, she nodded and leaned back against the couch.

I quickly left and made my way back to Emily, almost excited to tell her the news when she awoke.