Chapter 3

Emily

When I woke up, Devon was gone. I was surprised but I knew he would be back soon. I moved my head to look out the window, it was so tinted but I could just barely tell the sun was still out.

I took a deep breath and let it out slowly, but my breath caught when I heard movement from behind me.

I sat straight up in the bed, turning to see who was in the room with me and was surprised to see a familiar face.

"Oh hey! You're awake, Devon said you might wake up before the sun sets."

"Xavier? What are you doing here?" He had a big grin on his face, his dark emerald eyes looked bright. He was in a pair of grey joggers and a black Star Wars t-shirt.

"Devon asked me to stay with you while he went downstairs just in case you woke up. I'm surprised you're awake this early though." I shrugged and swung my legs over the side of the bed facing him. I couldn't help but notice how good Xavier's scent was, it reminded me of morning dew in the spring and sweet pea.

I looked down at the ground, the dryness in my throat made me swallow hard.

"How's Malik?" I asked softly, trying to distract myself with conversation.

"He's good, he's been home a lot recently, which has been great." He leaned forward in his chair, trying to look at me but I kept my eyes on my feet.

"Are you feeling okay? I can tell Devon to hurry back up here." I shook my head.

"No, I'm fine I promise." I looked up at him and smiled, but he looked wary. It kind of upset me, will everyone be like this to me? And why did Devon think I need a babysitter?

I felt angry for some reason, really angry. I stood up from the bed abruptly, making Xavier jump, which made me even more mad for some reason.

"I'm going to the bathroom." I could hear the venom in my words. Xavier furrowed his brow and looked a little hurt, but nodded. I felt a pinch of guilt, why was I so mad? He didn't do anything.

My throat felt more and more like sandpaper by the minute. I walked in the bathroom but stopped dead in my tracks when I saw my reflection.

I looked.... dangerous.

My eyes were a bright, vibrant red, my skin looked pale and deathly. I could tell my hair was darker, and for some reason it wasn't as straight as it use to be, it had a slight wave.

I turned on the faucet, hopping maybe a sip of water would help ease the dryness of my throat. I picked up a glass cup that was sitting near the sink. I filled it halfway with water and turned off the faucet.

I thought the water would feel cool on my throat, but I was very wrong. As I took a sip and swallowed, I started to choke, the water felt like sharp nettles sliding down my esophagus.

I threw it up, the burning pain in my throat caused me to gasp and stumble. I dropped the glass cup, I watched as it fell to the ground and broke into pieces.

"What's wrong? Are you okay?" Xavier asked from the door, he probably heard the glass breaking and bolted up to check on me. I tried to answer him, but no words came out. I needed something to stop the pain, my whole body ached now, I couldn't stand it.

"Emily? Should I go get Devon?" Xavier asked as he cracked open the door, I couldn't answer him, my body started moving on it's own. Xavier's scent lured me to him, he smelled so good, I couldn't stop myself.

I pushed the door open with force, Xavier stumbled back a few feet. I took no time to lunge at him, but he was able to dodge away from me quickly and move to the other side of the room.

"Emily! You have to calm down, you don't want to do this." His voice sounded so serious, but I was more focused on the sound of his heart beat. It was deafening, taunting me with the sweet liquid that flowed through it.

He was against the wall, nowhere to run, I was closer to the door, he wouldn't be able to escape. I couldn't help myself as I lunged at him again with speed that couldn't be seen by the naked eye. I saw him put his arms up to block me, somehow though, I was stopped before I could reach my target.

"Xavier I'm sorry, I should have been quicker, get out of here." Devon said calmly, Xavier nodded quickly and left the room, closing the door behind him.

I struggled against Devon, his arms were wrapped around my waist and torso tightly. Why did he stop me? I wouldn't have killed him, I was just going to take a little to make the pain go away.

"Emily, you need to calm down, you almost hurt Xavier, I know it's hard but you have to control yourself." Devon's voice was stern, almost like he was scolding me. I growled at him, it sounded more animal than human, but I didn't care. All I cared about was my thirst, the aching pain in my body and how to alleviate it.

Devon sighed, it didn't sound like frustration though, more like defeat. I could feel him loosening his grip around my body.

Before he could even blink, I latched onto his arm, sinking my fangs into his skin. I heard Devon grunt as his blood flowed into my mouth, immediately the pain began receding, the sandpaper covering my throat finally being washed away. I took big gulps, trying to get as much as I could. He tasted like heaven, I would never be able to get enough of this.

His blood didn't flow fast enough here, I needed more and I needed it now. I released his arm and turned to face him with full intentions of biting into his neck. However, I stopped myself, pushing him away from me.

What was I doing? Why did I attacked Xavier? Why was I so angry with him? Why did I attack Devon like that? I shook my head violently, trying to make myself come to my senses. Doing whatever I could to get out of this cloud of bloodlust and rage.

Then I felt Devon's arms around me, holding me against him, my face buried in his chest. I felt tears start to swell in my eyes, guilt and regret washing over me.

"It's okay Em, it's not your fault." He spoke softly to me, stroking my hair as tears fell from my eyes onto his shirt.

"I'm so sorry." I whispered, trying to calm myself down. He shook his head and squeezed me tightly before letting go, but still keeping me at arms reach.

"There's no reason to apologize, self control is the first and hardest lesson you're going to learn." Devon gave me a comforting smile as he grabbed my hand and walked over to the bed. He sat on the edge of the bed and wrapped his arms around my waist, hugging me close.

I put my arms around his shoulders and rested my head on top of his. We stayed there for a few moments before I felt him lean back, lifting me off the ground and on top of him.

We laid there together for awhile, neither of us speaking, simply content with the other ones presence.