Chapter 32

Emily

After over an hour of non stop training, I decided to take a break.

Katie still sat at the rivers edge, her eyes full of amazement.

"I can't believe you can do that, I mean that's just incredible, and you look so beautiful!" She gushed a bit and I laughed.

"Thank you, but I need a quick break." I replied moving to sit next to her. We were silent for a few moments before curiosity crept up on me.

"Katie, what's it like being a dove? Living in a warrior coven like this?" I gestured behind us, her eyes followed my hand and she shrugged.

"It's pretty normal for me, I've been a dove since I was seventeen. I never really had a home before that, I was adopted by a woman named Nora, she was a vampire so maybe that's why I don't think it's strange." She shifted, leaning back on her arms.

"When I turned twenty, Nora told me she had to move away. She said I could come with her of course, but I wanted to try and live on my own for awhile. Honestly, I hated it, I hated being alone, I told Nora about how I felt and she offered an alternative."

Katie smiled, as if remembering something fondly.

"Nora was a warrior, she left the eastern coven on her own accord, I'm not sure why she left but she still had connections with the community. So she made a few arrangements and suddenly, I wasn't alone. I made friends here, I still have my own place but I'm never far from the people who care about me."

I nodded, getting a new understanding of Katie and her life.

"Do you still talk to Nora?" I asked, she smiled brightly.

"Yep, I call her sometimes, or she'll send me letters and postcards of places she's visited, I keep them all in a box under my bed." I smiled, she seemed like she really loved her adoptive mother.

"What about you? What's it like being a uhhh new born vampire slash half human slash the electus?" Katie said chuckling, I thought about it for a moment.

"It's getting easier, I think, coming to terms with who or rather what I am." I leaned forward, bringing my knees up to my chest.

"The worst part about it is not seeing my family, I have a mom and sister not too far from here, but I can't see them because I'm not use to being around humans yet, and I'm terrified that when I do see them, I'll accidentally hurt them."

Sadness started to swell up in my chest, I mentally shook it off though, not wanting to get upset.

"But, you're here sitting next to me, and last time I checked I'm pretty human." Katie said looking at me, I shook my head.

"To be honest, just sitting here is hard. I've gotten better but..." I looked at her then. I could hear her heartbeat ringing in my ears and her scent was suffocating.

She leaned in a little, making me subconsciously lean away.

"You know, if it'll make it easier for you, I don't mind if you-" I shook my head violently.

"No, I can't, I... I don't think I'd be able to stop." Her offer was tempting, in fact, I could feel my gums aching, my fangs threatening to fall.

Katie scooted closer to me, almost closing the gap between us. I stood still as a statue and held my breath.

"Emily, I can tell you're hungry and I'm not worried you'll hurt me, I trust you." Her smile was kind, her blue eyes showed honesty and trust.

I let out my breath, feeling torn. Every cell in my body was screaming at me to take her offer, my fangs slowly slid down and touched my bottom lip. My throat felt like sandpaper, I wanted so desperately to close the gap between us and dig my teeth into her veins.

The human part of me was screaming, telling me not to, I wasn't confident I could stop myself, I didn't want to hurt Katie.

She moved again, this time shifting onto her knees. She offered her arm to me and I couldn't help but notice the blue and purple veins that ran up it.

"Are you sure?" I asked, the words just fell out of my mouth without any thought.

"Yes, I'm sure." Katie responded with a smile.

The vampire part of me took over the human part.

I was able to control myself enough to move slowly. I lightly grabbed onto her wrist, her heartbeat slowly increasing under my fingers.

I bit down on her forearm, doing my best not to hurt her.

When her blood hit my tongue, I was shocked by the taste.

Devon had said human blood was much different than vampire blood, but I didn't expect this.

Katie's blood was sweet like her scent, the taste was like nothing I had ever had in my life.

It was intoxicating how good her blood was, I wanted more of it.

I bit down harder, making the thick hot liquid flow faster into my mouth.

Katie let out a small gasp and it brought me out of my bloodlust trance.

It took every ounce of will power in me to let go of her. I pushed her arm away from me and took a deep breath, gripping the grass next to me to help calm myself down.

I looked at Katie to make sure she was okay, I was worried I had taken too much but she seemed perfectly fine.

"Are you alright?" I asked, she gave me a weird look.

"Of course, you didn't take very much, I'm also a professional at this." She chuckled, her face had lost a little color but other than that she looked fine to me.

"Oh, I was worried I wasn't going to be able to stop." I shook my head, surprised and almost impressed with myself.

Ever since I woke up as a vampire, I had been so scared that the first human I fed on would die because I couldn't control myself.

"Nope, I told you it'd be okay, but can you heal the bite mark?" Katie asked, I nodded and grabbed onto her wrist again.

Devon had taught me how to do this, I quickly ran the tip of my tongue over the mark. I watched as it sealed almost immediately, leaving nothing but smooth skin.

"How do you feel?" Katie asked tilting her head.

"Better actually, a lot better." I smiled at her. "Thank you." She waved her hand at me and smiled back.

"Don't mention it, this is pretty much my job."

I let Katie rest while I did some more practice in the river.

I felt great and much more confident in myself.

I was another big step closer to seeing my family again.

Another thought in the back of my mind whispered to me, making a chill run up my spine.

'If you survive that long.'