Chapter 17

Emily

I sat on the bed, waiting to be yelled at or scolded by Devon. I told him what had happened, I tired to explain what I had done to Ryker but I still didn't understand how I did such a thing.

I waited silently for Devon's anger, I wanted him to yell, to scream at me, to tell me what I did was awful and cruel. I wanted to feel the stinging pain of his words in my chest, I was ashamed of myself and felt I deserved nothing more.

But when I felt the bed shift as Devon sat down, and then felt his arms wrap around me, I let out a breath I felt I had been holding in ever since I left the river.

I cried, a lot.

Devon just held me in his arms, stroking my hair, not saying a word. My tears running from my eyes and pooling into his shirt.

When I composed myself, he loosened his hold around me. I didn't want to meet his eyes but he lifted my chin so I had no choice. His amber eyes usually made me melt, but right now they filled me with sorrow.

"It's okay Em, you made a mistake but that warrior is going to be fine." His words came out like silk, smooth and calm, nor a hint of anger or hatred in them.

"I hurt him though, I knew I shouldn't have fought him, I knew I wasn't ready, I just didn't realize I could do..... that." I looked away from him, focusing on the window.

"Yes, you did hurt him, and you can't take that back. You made a mistake, but that's just how we learn love." Devon pulled me in again, holding me close.

His words made me feel slightly better, yet the feeling of regret still gnawed at me, and that word wouldn't stop sweeping through my mind.

Monster. Monster. Monster.

                      **********

I awoke abruptly in the middle of the day, Devon and I had fallen asleep a little after dawn.

I scanned the room, it had been awhile since I was awake while the sun was fully up. I felt tired still, yet I couldn't seem to fall back asleep.

I slowly got out of bed, doing my best not to wake my sleeping Devon. I worked my way to the bathroom, shutting the door as softly as I could.

I felt dizzy as I walked, my movements sluggish and heavy. I stood in front of the mirror, starring at my complexion. I looked awful, dark circles surrounded my eyes, making my skin look almost paper white. My irises were bright red, that's when I noticed the dryness of my throat.

It had only been a couple days since I fed from Devon, why was I so thirsty already?

Of course, I knew it was because of last night. Using my ability like that must have drained me, which would also explain the deathly pale skin and sluggishness.

I leaned on the sink for support, still watching myself in the mirror. I hated the way I looked right now, it reminded me of a....

I shook my head and pushed myself off from the sink. The action made me dizzy and I used the wall to keep me from falling. A jolt of pain ran through my body, it was dull but I cried out quietly in shock. My throat felt my sandpaper, my body was becoming heavier by the second.

I slid down the wall, practically crumbling to the cool floor. I didn't move, just stayed slumped against the wall, doing my best to conserve any energy I had left.

I knew I could call out to Devon and he would come in and save me in a second, but I didn't. I wanted to feel this pain, I wanted to feel the hunger, I deserved it.

My breath became shaky, my body practically screaming for the thing that would ease the hunger. I willed myself to stay silent, not letting Devon know I was in here.

I closed my eyes, they felt so heavy now, just like the rest of my body.

I think I'm about to pass out....

                       **********

Malik

We had finally made our way out of the mountains and back to our cars. We had left them at a hotel we had stayed in the day before.

"I'll report to Master Cyrus, you boys go ahead and get some rest." Ruby said as she headed into her room. Elijah and I both nodded and muttered our thanks as she closed the door.

"I'm going to get some shut eye, I suggest you get some too, we have a long drive in a few hours." Elijah said opening his own door next to mine.

"I will, thank you." I responded as I stepped inside my own room.

I walked over to the bed, taking off my shoes and laying down.

Our mission had been a success, we received the intel that was needed. I felt on edge, I didn't like the information we were bringing back. I feared for Emily deeply, but I feared more for my mate.

I didn't want a war, I didn't want to fight. The last time I had to fight was years ago, and it ended in a bloody mess. Most warriors loved the thrill of battle, the smell of their opponents blood, the rush of victory.

I was not like my brethren.

I didn't want to fight, I didn't enjoy bringing pain on to others, but I knew deep down I was damn good at it.

Master Cyrus saw the fury in my soul the moment he saw me fight as a young boy. It was the reason he choose me to enter the coven. I remember how proud my parents were, they saw the warrior in me as well, if only they knew back then what I could do now.

I was a powerful fighter, I'm able to predict my opponents moves and use them against him. I can't remember the last time I actually lost a battle, and when I fight to my fullest extent, there is so much blood spilt.

I never wanted to join the coven, I never wanted to become a true warrior, and I never wanted to become Cyrus's second in command. I never trained, never asked, never took my skills seriously, and yet I was still plucked from the crowd and tossed into the ring.

Now I'm here, probably on the verge of war, unable to do anything about it.

I can't escape, can't back out, and can't say no.

For the past forty years I've been trapped, and the only thing that has made all of this worth it is Xavier.

Finding him was the best moment of my life, and losing him would be the day I would lose myself.

I will do anything to make sure that never happens.