Chapter 23

Emily

It had been a few days since I had met Katie and honestly I felt good. I was one big step closer to seeing my mom and sister again.

I wanted to see Katie again so that I could quickly get use to being around her, and then eventually get use to being around humans in general.

I also wanted to work on my abilities, learn to better control them, so nothing like what happened with Ryker ever happens again.

The memory haunted me, I hated thinking about it. I hadn't seen Ryker since then, actually I hadn't really seen any of the other warriors besides Xavier.

I worried wether I had scared everyone away, that they all feared me now.

I brushed the thought off, no way a bunch of tough warrior vamps were scared of some newborn still stumbling on her own two feet.

I stretched myself out on the bed, Devon was sitting next to me, engrossed in some Netflix documentary about space.

Deep down, he was the biggest dork, and I absolutely loved that about him.

I stared at him for a few moments, admiring his beauty. His dark hair was a little messy and he was going to need a haircut soon. His alluring amber eyes made me swoon. Devon was everything I could ever want and more, I had most certainly fallen head over heels for him.

I tapped on his leg with my fingers, bringing his attention towards me.

"So what's the plan for today?" I asked looking up at him. I was pretty bored and wanted to get out of this room. He shrugged before answering.

"I don't have anything planned for today, so it's up to you." He moved to lay down next to me, wrapping his arms around my waist. "You know, I'm fine with just staying in bed with you all day."

He wiggled his eyebrows at me with a smirk. I rolled my eyes and smacked his chest, but couldn't help the smile that snuck up on my face.

"Tempting, but I would love to maybe....." I thought for a moment, pursing my lips together. "Work on my water ability?"

Devon rubbed his chin, thinking to himself. I waited eagerly for his answer.

"I mean, that doesn't sound like a bad idea, but, let's make it interesting."

I raised a brow at him. He gave me a kiss on my forehead, unwrapping his arms from around my waist and started to get out of bed.

"Let's go down to the arena and I'll show you what I mean."

                    **********

The arena was as big as I remembered, and pretty dark too. If it wasn't for my vamp night vision, i'm sure I wouldn't be able to see two feet in front of me.

I stood behind two large buckets of water that Devon had asked a couple warriors to bring in.

"Alright, now you can explain what you want us to do." I said crossing my arms.

"We're going to fight, don't worry, I'll be going easy on you." He gave me a devious smirk. I took a step back, a little shocked.

"What? Are you sure I'm ready for that? I mean I've only had a few lessons with Lyra and I don't have a lot of control over my element and I-" Devon closed the gap between us and shut me up by smacking his lips against mine.

I blushed ferociously and stood still as a statue. He released me, staring down into my eyes.

"Don't think about it to much love, this is just practice, you'll be fine." Devon said smiling at me, I nodded and gave him a half smile, still a bit worried.

"Okay, I'll try." I took a step back, Devon gave me one more smile before returning back to his spot about two years away from me.

"Go ahead and get ready, I'll let you warm up." He said.

I nodded and took a deep breath, centering myself and trying to calm my nerves. Looking down at the water in both buckets, I concentrated hard, focusing my energy.

The water moved, obeying me, just like it always did, this time quicker than the last, I must be getting the hang of this.

I felt a rush of power flow through me, cool and exhilarating. I would never get over the feeling of using my element. The water moved in wavy rings around me, circling my body almost protectively.

"Beautiful." Devon said underneath his breath. I smiled at him, getting into a defensive position.

"Ready when you are." I said, Devon grinned.

His eyes turned a deep red as fire began to appear from his hands. The flames engulfed his skin from his hands to the middle of his forearm, almost like gloves. The flames were bright, orange and yellow waves of heat, I had to blink a few times to look away from them.

I wondered why the fire didn't burn him, or why when my ice froze, I didn't freeze with it.

Before I could ask though, Devon got into a fighting stance.

"Are you ready? I'm going to start, all I want you to do is block my fire with your water, I'll go slow at first." I nodded, suddenly excited about this.

Most of my training up to this point has been hands on with Lyra. With Devon I can use my water ability and improve.

He moved his arm slightly, letting a small flame leaving his hands and come towards me.

I concentrated, telling the water surrounding me to extinguish the flame.

It listened, apart of the water left my side, moving almost like a snake through the air with the flick of my hand. The water engulfed the flame before it even got near me, a loud hissing sound came from the fire as it died.

"Not bad, ready for another?" Devon asked with a little challenge in his tone.

"Bring it." I encouraged as the water came back towards me and once again moving in a circle around me.

He smirked, this time moving his entire body to attack. As he turned, he made a fist, fire once again leaving from his hand, only this time it was bigger and faster.

I quickly blocked it, letting more of the water leave my side to stop Devon's flames getting near me.

It worked, however this time I noticed when the water came back to me, there wasn't as much. The hot flames had evaporated some of the cool liquid.

Devon seemed to notice this too and freakishly seemed to read my mind.

"Yeah that's kind of the down side with a water elemental. It's very powerful and can take multiple forms, but going against a fire element, you'll notice your water supplies will start to get smaller and smaller."

"So I'm only limited to the amount of water that's around me?" I asked a little surprised, I hadn't even thought about it.

"Yes but you have to remember, water, or rather liquid, is pretty much everywhere, once you become stronger and master your element, you'll see you can take and use water from many sources." Devon said, flames still engulfing his hands and arms.

"What about you? What are your limitations?" I asked curiously, Devon shrugged.

"Well, I have never 'run out' of fire, but I've definitely exhausted myself to where I was to weak to use it. Plus, just because I have an unlimited amount, doesn't mean I don't have my own weaknesses when it comes to my element." Devon shook his head. "Alright, enough with the lecturing, we can do that later."

He got into a fighting stance again, his eyes a bright red and a devious glint in them, along with a smirk to match.

"Let's continue our training, I'm not going to hold back as much, ready?"

I took a deep breath, centering myself and getting back into my own stance. The water surrounding me flowing with power gave me confidence.

I smirked, nodding towards my a little too cocky opponent.

"Try me babe."