Chapter 10

Xavier

"I just need you to go check on Em, I'm sure she's still asleep." Devon said from my front door.

"Yeah don't worry about it, I'll go up and hangout with her until you're done with Cyrus." I replied while stepping out of my home and locking the door behind me.

"I appreciate it man, hopefully I'll be done in an hour or so." We walked the short distance down the hall to the elevator.

"Did you already go to the fourth floor?" I asked curiously.

"Yeah and then Cyrus texted me to come upstairs." We stepped into the elevator, I hit the fifth and sixth floor buttons. "I'm hoping this meeting is about getting Emily out more, she's so bored in that room."

"It'd be good if she could at least go down to the first floor, maybe then the other warriors would stop gossiping like teenagers about her." I said rolling my eyes, Devon chuckled. The doors slid open to the fifth floor and I stepped out.

"Alright, see you later." Devon said and I waved as the doors slid closed. I barely took a few steps down the hall before I heard a loud bang and I was knocked to the ground on my back.

Before I could even comprehend what was happening, I felt teeth sink into the nape of my neck. I gasped, quickly realizing it was Emily who was on top of me, drinking from my throat. I tried to push her off of me, but she held me down with furious strength.

Why was she attacking me? What caused her to go into a frenzy like this? I doubt she even realized who she was attacking but I had to get her off of me.

"Emily, stop!! Get off!!" I tried to yell while using all my strength to push her off. My head was spinning and my body felt heavy, I thought I could easily sink into the floor beneath me.

At first she didn't listen, her nails dug into my bare arms, probably causing them to bleed. Her bite was rough, but the venom from her fangs made it so I felt no pain.

She suddenly shuddered, releasing me and quickly moving away towards the wall so I could sit up. She starred at me with bright red eyes, full of shock and utter horror.

"Oh my god, Xavier, I'm so sorry." Emily said slowly, her voice trembling, tears starting to swell in her eyes. I moved closer to her, not wanting her to think I was angry.

"It's okay it's okay, I'm not mad, but what were you doing? Why weren't you in your room?" I asked, Emily shook her head.

"I- I went to find you, I remembered your apartment number but not the floor. So I th-thought I could just find it, I went to the fourth floor first...." she trailed off, tears falling down her cheeks, her eyes slowly turning from bright to a dull red. I realized then what had brought her into such a frenzy.

"Emily, did you bite any of them?" I asked calmly, she shook her head furiously.

"No, no I didn't.... but I wanted to. There were two girls, I... one told me to leave and I did, but I wanted to turn back so badly." Emily struggled to speak, trying to hold back tears. I could tell she was terrified of herself, of what she could have done.

I stood up slowly, trying not to startle her. I held out my hand to help her up, Emily hesitated at first, as if not trusting herself.

"Let's get you back to your room so you can clean up and relax, okay?" I said softly, doing my best to reassure her. She nodded, taking my hand to stand up.

"I'm so sorry Xavier." She whispered, I shook my head.

"Don't be, I'm fine and you showed self control by not hurting those girls." I smiled and she nodded, keeping her eyes on the floor.

We walked to her room and I shut the door behind us. Emily immediately went into the bathroom while I went and sat in the chair across from the bed.

I ran my hand along my neck to check for any blood and looked at my clothes. Luckily none had gotten into my grey shirt, the wound had of course already healed.

I sat back, thinking of how I would explain this to Devon. I also worried about telling the Master warrior, what would he say if he knew she attacked me? What if he wanted to wait even longer to have Emily leave this room freely?

It hadn't even been a month since she was turned, so lack of some self control was still to be expected. However, she was able to get away from a human, which was impressive. I personally didn't know much about newborns, they were just so rare.

Emily came out of the bathroom about ten minutes later, but she didn't look at me. She just walked over to the bed and sat on the edge. We sat in silence for a few, almost uncomfortable minutes until I spoke.

"Emily it-"

"When does it get easier?" She looked at me then, her eyes full of sorrow and shame. I shrugged and let my shoulders fall.

"I can't answer that for you, I'm sorry but you're honestly the first newborn I've ever met. I just don't know."

"But it's been almost a month and I still can't control my hunger, I feel like a danger to everyone around me. What if I'm never able to control myself? What if I can't ever see my family again because I might attack them?" Tears swelled in Emily's eyes again and her breath quickened. I stood up and walked over to her, sitting next to her on the bed.

"Hey don't think like that okay? You're still new to this, you'll get a handle of everything, just take it day by day and don't do the 'what if' thing. You're doing great right now and soon you'll be able to see your family and leave from here and live your life normally." Emily looked at me with teary eyes and I smiled. She sniffled a couple times before wrapping me into a hug.

"Thank you." She mumbled, I held her for a few seconds before letting go. Emily wiped her eyes and gave me a small smile.

"You're a really good friend Xavier, I'm glad I met you in the bookstore." I smiled back and chuckled lightly.

"Now don't go hitting on me girl, I hate to break it to you but I don't play for your team." She laughed and stuck her tongue out at me. I couldn't help but laugh too.

From there on, we watched some TV and talked about random nonsense, and honestly it was the most fun I'd had with anyone besides Malik in a long time. It felt great to relax and enjoy myself with someone I considered a friend.

Sure this girl is the Electus and might be the destruction of my kind, but in this moment, I hoped deep down that Emily would be in my life for a very long time.