Chapter 12

Emily

A male warrior I didn't know brought in two large buckets of water. Devon told me we would be testing my water ability and I was really excited. Since the first time by the river, I had been cautious to use my ability, seeing as it caused me to faint the first time I tired. I was still worried, but the excitement overthrew my anxieties.

Devon stood in front of me, giving me one of those heartwarming smiles I loved. He held out both of his hands in front of him. From his palms erupted two beautiful balls of fire. Each glowed like a sunset and warmed the air around us.

"I want you to do what I'm doing, but with water. Your element can't be easily manifested like mine, so you'll have to make some of the water from the buckets move into your hands." He said calmly to me, I looked away from the fires and into his luminous red eyes.

I nodded, trying to convey the little confidence I felt. I took a deep breath and closed my eyes.

"Imagine the water moving, think of what you want it to do and visualize it flowing." Devon said softly.

I did as he told me, I could already feel the coolness of the water and it's magnificent power rushing through me. I imagined it moving, coming towards me in small streams into my hands, then forming to create a ball.

I opened my eyes and almost jumped with joy. I watched in amazement as two identical shaped balls of water laid in my palms. They felt cool on my hands, and I could see my pale skin through the tops of the large water droplets.

"You did it, well done." Devon said giving me a smile.

"Well you made it look easy." I teased and he responded with a wink.

"Alright, now I want you to throw it." He said with a smirk.

"What? Why?" I asked confused.

"Your element is not only beautiful and fun to play with love, it's a weapon and a great way to defend yourself." He turned slightly to face towards the far wall. "I want you to hit the wall with your element. In its current state, you'd only make your opponent a little damp, so try and turn it to ice if you can, like you did in the river."

Devon took a deep breath before throwing the ball of fire in his right hand, I watched as it grew bigger and bigger before slamming against the concrete wall. It spread to three times it's original size, seeming like it would engulf the wall before it disappeared with a wave of Devon's hand.

"You see, my element only has the one state, so instead I change the size of it, creating more damage." He turned back to me, extinguishing the fire that was still in his other hand. "You however have an element that can change states, from liquid to solid and vise versa. So use that to your advantage, when you throw the water, try and change it to ice like I changed the fires size."

"I don't know if I can." I confessed, I had no idea how I even changed the river water to ice the first time. How was I going to make it change mid air?

"Don't doubt yourself, all you have to do is imagine it. It may take some time but you'll eventually master your element like I did mine." He said trying to boost my esteem. I half nodded and turned to face towards the wall.

I took a few deep breaths, in and out, trying to focus. I thought of the water in my right hand, feeling it move slightly in my palm. I felt it was apart of me now, an extension of myself and even when I threw it, the water would still be apart of me.

I lifted my arm, took one more deep breath, and launched the water from my hand. I tried to imagine it changing states, freezing into ice. Unfortunately, I watched as it flew, slowing down as it turned.... to snow. The now snowball smacked against the wall and slid down it quickly, already beginning to melt.

"Hey not bad, you got it halfway there." Devon said.

"Yeah but I was imagining it as ice, not a harmless snowball." I huffed, disappointed with my results.

"Well, try again, you still have some water in the other hand." I looked down at the still present ball of water in my left hand. I quickly switched hands, moving the liquid to my dominate hand.

I stood up straight, taking another few deep breaths. I focused all my energy on my element before lifting my arm and throwing the water at the wall. I watched, imagining it shifting into ice, cold and hard, moving quickly through the air. My eyes widened as the water shifted from flowing water to solid ice at the last second, smashing against the wall and breaking into pieces.

"I did it!" I jumped and threw my hands in the air, a rush of excitement filled me. Unfortunately, it was closely followed by a wave of dizziness. I almost collapsed but caught myself. Devon was ready to grab me if I decided to fall but I put out my hand to stop him.

"No, I'm okay, just need a break." I said trying to catch my breath.

"No need for a break, you're done for the night, go home and rest." Cyrus said from behind me, I honestly had forgotten he was here. "Good work today Emily." He said with a small smile and turned to leave, followed by Lyra who waved goodbye.

I gave Devon a look before speaking as I heard the door to the arena shut.

"Did I do something to upset him?" I asked confused, Cyrus seemed short with me, which I felt was odd. Devon shook his head slowly.

"Emily, look at the wall again, where your ice hit." He said, I furrowed my brows but turned towards the wall.

My jaw dropped slightly as I saw the ripple of cracks in the concrete from the impact of the ice shard I had created. The cracks didn't look super deep, but a few small pieces of concrete looked as though they might fall from the wall at any second.

"I did that?" I said more to myself than Devon.

"It seems your ability is stronger than we anticipated." He responded. Devon put his arm around my waist and kissed the top of my head. "Do you feel alright?" He asked softly, I nodded.

"Yes, just a little tired." I tilted my head up to meet his gaze. His amber eyes dazzled me, once again making me swoon. I smiled before getting on my tiptoes to plant a sweet and long kiss on his lips.

"Let's go back upstairs and watch a movie or something." I said leaning back, he smiled and nodded. I grabbed his hand and together we walked back up to our room.