Chapter 38

Emily

"I wonder how they are doing." Xavier said from beside me.

We stood at the rivers edge, listening for movement around us, waiting for someone to pop out of the trees.

It was a little nerve racking for me, it was similar to the feeling of playing hide and seek when I was young. Nervous butterflies swarmed in my stomach, making me anxious.

"I'm sure they're fine." I said trying to sound confident, but even I worried.

We were too far away to hear the battle going on, plus the river muffled some noises.

The cool night breeze whipped through my hair, as if trying to comfort me and ease my worry. I held onto that feeling for as long as I could, trying to calm my heart beat and have faith in the others.

I heard a leaf crunch, both Xavier and I snapped our heads in the direction of the sound.

My breath caught in my throat as I searched the forest for whatever made the noise.

Silence followed, the only sounds came from the flowing waters behind us, I'm pretty sure I wasn't even breathing.

Out from the woods came a man walking slowly toward us. He was shorter, with long brown hair that flowed past his shoulders and a thick beard to match. His chest was bare but he had a weapon I couldn't really see strapped to his back.

He smiled at us as he approached, looking non threatening and calm.

"Good evening Electus and fellow warrior." He said when he stopped about forty yards away from us. Xavier had already gotten into a fighting stance while I was slowly stepping backwards into the river behind me.

"My name is Alister and I have come to take the electus back to my master. No harm will come to either of you if you comply. However, if you refuse you will surely pay the price."

His voice carried over to us smoothly and I could tell he was dead serious.

My foot finally touched the waters edge, I immediately felt it's ever flowing power and strength.

Then, everything stood still.

Xavier was in front of me in a protective stance, Alister waited patiently for us to do something. 

I watched as his demeanor changed. His face went from calm and civil to cruel and sadistic in a second.

"Fine." He growled. "Have it your way then."

He charged at Xavier with intense speed, knocking him away from me.

I was about to help him when I heard a splash from behind me.

I whipped around to see one man in the river and another next to him on the dirt.

My body reacted before my mind could. I threw my hands towards both of them, causing a huge wave to form and knocked both of them back.

The men didn't fall though, both were ginormous compared to me. One was bald and was carrying an axe while the other had short jet black hair and scary looking scars on his face and chest.

Scar face recovered first and ran towards me on land, he didn't have a weapon, but his big muscles told me his fists were the only weapons he needed.

I tried to make another wave but the man grabbed me before I could. He picked me up by my wrists and threw me onto land, away from my element.