Chapter Four: Person of Interest

"Jiyeon-ah!" mom yelled as soon as I opened the door to her apartment. She ran to me, engulfing me in a hug.

"Hi Mom." I smiled to myself, hugging her back.

"How was your flight?" She asked when she pulled away. I looked up at the face that I somewhat resembled. I inherited my mother's baby cheeks and clear skin. She had an angular jaw, but I got a slimmer one from my father. My mom and I both had fairly full lips, mine a bit fuller than hers. And we shared the same straight hair, except hers was black and mine was a light brown.

"It was fine." I replied, setting down my luggage to take a seat on the couch. I decided to omit the part about the fight with damn near everyone at the airport. "How have you been?"

"Busy." She replied.

My mom was a TV personality. She worked crazy hours at a broadcasting company. She was the MC for a popular cooking show, that attracted mainly older women. She made pretty good money and even better food.

Who would have thought that my mom and I would have such starkly different careers?

"We're actually doing a show on your favorite dessert tomorrow!" My mother said excitedly, sitting down next to me.

"What's that?" I asked. I rarely ate dessert while working in the FBI. I had to keep myself in absolute pristine shape, and had a protein heavy diet.

"Hotteok!" She replied, "If you're free tomorrow, you should come watch the filming."

"That would be fun." I smiled at her.

I had a lot of free time coming up, a whole year of it to be exact. I would be watching plenty of filmings while I was here. But I didn't mind, because I actually liked cooking shows.

"I'm sure you're tired, so I'll make you something to eat and then you can go to sleep." My mom said, rushing off to the kitchen.

It wasn't nighttime yet, but I wanted to get some extra sleep to beat jet lag.

"Sounds good!" I replied.

My mom had an empty room that I could sleep in while here. She used it as a guest room for her friends when they came over, now it would be my room for the year.

I rolled my suitcase into the quaint space and started unpacking my things.

Once I was settled in, I put on my pajamas just in time for my mom to finish making dinner. She set out the banchan and a bowl of rice in advance. Just as I emerged from the room, my mom set down a bowl of Kimchi Jjigae.

It has been a long time since I last had a good Korean meal. I sat down at the table and dug in immediately. There was nothing like mom's cooking. My mom sat across from me, smiling at me while I chowed down.

"I'm happy that I can cook for you again." My mom smiled, petting my head before getting up and saying, "I have to work on some script stuff, but enjoy your food and then get some rest, okay? If you want to join me tomorrow, we leave at 7 a.m."

I woke up at 5 am the next morning. Since I went to bed pretty early, I woke up feeling rejuvenated. I hopped into the shower to clean up and go through my whole skin care routine. I emerged from the shower, my mom still sleeping soundly in her room.

I searched the kitchen for a coffee machine, but I only found instant coffee. I started a kettle and returned to my room to pick my outfit for the day.