Chapter Twenty Nine: Hiding Place

Can we talk?

I received a text later that night after we got back from the boat. We were out on the ocean for hours, and ate dinner in the privacy of the hotel room. I had gotten quite a sunburn, but hoped maybe I would get some freckles out of today.

I was laying in bed, almost asleep, when I received a text from Changkyun.

I let out a sigh, feeling more than comfortable laying in bed.

Yeah, we can talk. I texted back, wondering how long this would take. Sleep was calling after me.

Meet me outside.

Be out in a second. I replied, tossing my legs over the side of the bed to get up. I collected myself for a moment, throwing on a pair of tennis shoes. The guys were all asleep, so I snuck out quietly with the room key in hand.

Changkyun was already waiting outside in the hallway, dressed in jeans and a t-shirt. I closed the door quietly behind me before asking, "What did you want to talk about?"

He held a finger up to his lips, silencing me, "Let's talk somewhere more private." He whispered, motioning for me to follow him to the elevator. He led me all the way out to the shore, standing in the exact stop Hyungwon and I had the night before, unbeknownst to Changkyun.

It was pretty late, past midnight, so the beach was empty once again.

"What did you want to talk about?" I asked, finally speaking comfortably.

Changkyun had his hands stuffed into his pockets, avoiding eye contact with me

"It's just-" He started to say.

"Oppa!"

My head shot towards the sound of high pitched yelling. A group of fans, signs in hand, were on the private beach and had spotted us. (None of them had any business calling him Oppa.)

"Shit." I muttered, not only were we spotted, but even worse we were spotted alone together. But I stopped myself, calming down. I mean, what was the worst they could do, ask for pictures?

Then the fans started chasing us, multiplying like a mob.

'Okay, that's probably the worst thing they can do.'

"Run!" I yelled to Changkyun, pushing him to escape along the shore away from them. As a trained FBI agent, I was well equipped to run very fast from instances like this. I was worried I'd outrun him, but Changkyun was keeping up right along with me. I guess all that dance practice kept him in pristine shape.

The fans were running pretty slow but seemed to stay within eye shot of us. We needed to hide, because we'd likely run out of energy before we could get away from them. 

My eyes searched along the beach for a place to hide. They landed on a bathroom, which was the perfect place to hide as long as they didn't spot us going in.

"There!" I said, pointing to the bathroom. Changkyun seemed to know what I was implying, the two of us skidding to a halt in front of the bathroom. I threw open the door, ushering him into the women's room, and once he was inside I followed after. I locked door so the two of us would be safe inside.

I imagined this was what a zombie apocalypse would feel like.

Once we were alone, I leaned against the door to catch my breath. Changkyun, too, was winded, leaning over and gasping for air.

"They're wild." Changkyun finally spoke up when he caught his breath. "Chasing us down like that."

I nodded, sliding down the door to take a seat. There was really no telling how long the fans would be waiting out there and looking for us, it was best to lay low for a while. Changkyun sat down across from me too, staring in silence before speaking up.

"So I guess now is a better chance than any." He sighed, sitting up straight. I sat up straight, waiting for whatever it was he wanted to talk about. "I like you Jiyeon... I'm not sure about a lot, but I like you. And I wanted to tell you before any of the others guys could."

'You're a bit late for that...'

He pouted, slouching a bit as he propped himself up by his arms, "But now that all of this has happened, I don't get to look as cool to you as I was hoping. So maybe I'll try again later?"

I chuckled, blushing.

'This guy is really brave.'

I knew it took a lot of courage for a guy to confess, and something told me that Changkyun's confidence and bravado was a bit of a front. It was cute to see this shy side of him. But my smile faded when I realized I would have to add him to the list of guys to let down easily.

I felt like now wasn't the right time.

'I guess, while I'm here...' I thought, looking up at Changkyun as he avoided eye contact with me. I felt like my life in Korea so far has been exactly like a K-drama. I was very lucky for that, 'I might as well have fun, right?'

After all, my whole life had been nothing but business. From birth until now I've been keeping my head down and working hard. Why couldn't I just have fun for now?

"You don't have to be cool all the time." I said, putting a hand on Changkyun's shoulder. He stiffened, glancing between me and my hand feverishly, "This is a good enough confession. I'll take it."

Changkyun beamed, seeming far more confident now. "So you'll be my girlfriend, then?"

I gagged.

'What? He moves quick.'

"Well, not quite." I laughed, "I mean, what with your agency and all-"

"I don't care about that!" Changkyun spoke up, "Why should my agency come between me and true love?"

'True love? Hold on a second...'

"Changkyun-ah," I sighed, trying to talk to him heart to heart. "I just..." He watched me expectantly while I thought. I didn't want to hurt his feelings, he was a nice guy after all, "I'm not sure how I feel. Give me some time, okay?"

He seemed content with that, nodding. "Yeah, that makes sense..."

The fan girls had probably left by now, so I took a cautious peek outside the bathroom. The coast appeared to be clear, the fans had probably gone home for the night to disappoint their parents another day.

I ushered Changkyun out of the bathroom so we could go to the room and sleep.

After all, I had a lot to think about.