Thirty Three: Coffee Prince

I opened the doors to the cafe and spotted the familiar face of the barista. He smiled at me when I walked in, and I smiled back. But that same spark didn't seem to be there anymore. There was a minor crush, but now it was gone.

'Funny how quickly I'm getting over those now.'

I walked up to the cash register, smiling at him as I ordered an Americano.

"Where have you been? I haven't seen you in a while." Sungmin said to me as he made the espresso.

"Vacation, actually." I replied, "I went to Hawaii for work."

"Work and vacation?" Sungmin turned away from the espresso machine to look and me with his brow raised. "How did you manage that?"

I chuckled, "Well, it's kind of hard to explain. But I'm..." I trailed off, trying to decide whether or not to tell him what I did for work.

I might scare him away if I told him I was a bodyguard.

"Anyway, how have you been?" I asked him, changing the subject.

"Busy." He confessed, pouring the hot water into the espresso before handing it to me. "But I can't complain, being busy means I'm making money, right?"

"Right..." I replied, thinking about how busy I would have been if I was not on leave from the FBI. If the extraction hadn't gone sour, then we'd be on trial to put away the crime boss. Who knows if that would happen now.

I took a seat at a table next to the register, enjoying my bit of peace. Once the cafe was empty, about thirty minutes later, Sungmin came from behind the counter and sat across from me. I tried to think of things to talk about

"So you must like coffee?" I asked, finishing off my Americano.

"Nope." He replied, chuckling. "I guess owning a place like this, I should... but I know cafes do well in this area, so that's why we opened up this one."

"Oh." I muttered.

He really was all about business. I don't think I could do something just because it made money.

But then again, I guess this is what my ideal life would have been like, marring a guy with a boring job that worried about the bottom line more than anything else. Maybe this wasn't what I really wanted.

Sungmin seemed a lot less attractive to me now.

"I always wanted to own a restaurant." I sighed, looking around the cafe. There were many times when I was working jobs with the FBI--surviving shoot-outs and undercover operations--when I would dream of a simpler life. When protecting informants or executing take-outs, I always imagined myself opening a small cafe with jazz music playing in the background as an escape.

Somehow, now that I'm in that very cafe of my dreams, I'd rather be working a job for the FBI.

"Really?" Sungmin asked. "Isn't your mom on TV? You should have enough money for that, right?"

A lot seemed to be about money for him.

"Money?" I asked, "Well, I guess..." I had plenty of that. The FBI was paying me off to keep quiet about a lot of stuff too. "It's not really about the money, though... I think I'm meant for other things."

Sungmin watched me as I trailed off, staring into space.

Of course I thought I was destined to be in the FBI, but things really weren't working out for me there. Either way, I'm destined to protect people. I couldn't do that working at a cafe all day.