Chapter Six: Thanks for the Meal

I sat, watching my mom and Monsta X film the cooking show. They were making hotteok, my favorite dessert. But I couldn't pay attention. I kept zoning out.

I wanted things to be a bit normal for me while here in Korea. I initially thought my year here would be like a vacation. But if I masqueraded as a bodyguard for a while, then I could make money and keep myself strong.

'I guess I could look into that later.' I thought.

After filming ended, I was able to try some of the hotteok my mom made. It was as delicious as ever.

"We'll be ready to go home in a couple minutes." My mom said, patting me on the shoulder while I finished up the dessert.

It was well into the afternoon by now, and I was excited to explore Seoul. Since it was my first time here, I thought I should spend time shopping for clothing and cosmetics.

'What a plan!' I thought. 'I should make some friends out here so I have people to go shopping with.'

"Jiyeon!" I looked up from my snack to see all of Monsta X slowly closing in on me.

"Let's go out to dinner!" Minhyuk suggested. The other members nodded in agreement.

"I don't know..." I started to say. I just made up plans a couple seconds ago in my head, and I was pretty set on them.

"Oh, come on! Our manager wants to meet you too! He's really grateful that you saved us. He wants to thank you in person." Wonho said.

Minhyuk and Wonho linked arms with me.

"They won't take no for an answer." Shownu said, smiling apologetically at me.

I looked around at my captors and saw how excited they were to take me to dinner.

I let out a sigh.

"Fine. I'll tell my mom." I said.

We arrived at a Mul Naengmyeon restaurant. It was across the street from the broadcasting station, and luckily wasn't that busy. So it was the perfect place to eat dinner. The fans that recognized the boys on the street seemed very respectful, because they didn't bother them much after saying hello.

When we were seated at a large table, the questions started pouring in.

"Do you know Taekwondo?"

I nodded, taking a drink of the water that was provided for me.

"So what did your college teach you?"

"A little bit of this and that." I lied. But I wanted to change the subject, "When does your manager get here?"

"He's on the way." Shownu said. 

"Not to be rude," Hyungwon started saying, though I had a feeling what he was about to say would be rude. He leaned in and examining my face more, "What exactly are you? I mean, your mother is Korean but you don't look Korean."

Finally, easy questions to answer.

"I haven't taken any DNA tests yet so I can't give you the specifics." I laughed, "But I am part Korean, Black, and German."

My father was mixed... so my mom told me.

"Wow." Minhyuk cut in, "That's a lot of things."