Chapter Nineteen: Fins

I was always excited to see a shark, but not this close.

I pushed Hyungwon out of the way so I could get a better look. I could see the odd shape of the shark's head through the clear water and identified it as a hammerhead. Their attacks rarely led to deaths, but they were still dangerous nonetheless.

 Their  attacks rarely led to deaths, but they were still dangerous nonetheless

'Just my luck...'

"Get into the innertube!" I yelled at him as I started swimming towards the shark. It was a good twenty feet away from us, cruising slowly in our direction.

Hyungwon listened, pulling himself into the tube so his legs were dangling over the sides. I could tell he was terrified.

I would be terrified too if not for my FBI training. I knew exactly what to do in this situation. And watching hours of Shark Week taught me a thing or two. I swam to block the shark from Hyungwon.

As the hammerhead came in five feet of us, I braced myself, fist balled up.

"What are you doing?" Hyungwon yelled. "We need to swim away!"

No. The last thing you should do is panic around the shark. It made you look even more like prey.

Once the shark was close enough that I could see the ridges on its snout, I put all of my force into a punch straight at its nose.

After that, it swam away.

I let out a sigh once it disappeared into the water, but knew it didn't mean we were safe.

"We need to get out of here." I yelled to Hyungwon, pushing the tube with my hands while I paddled him towards shore. The lifeguard boat was already rushing in our direction and helped us out of the water before we got too far on our own.

"Clear the shore." I heard one lifeguard say to the other.

A muscular man helped Hyungwon out of the water while another fit female helped me into the boat.

"Are you guys okay?" The girl asked us both.

Hyungwon glanced at me, not understanding what she said in English.

"She asked if we're okay." I said to him in Korean.

He nodded, still shaking. "I'm... fine."

"What happened?" The man asked me as the boat rushed us back to shore. "We noticed the fin from the post just as it was approaching you both. It was a juvenile shark, you're lucky it wasn't full grown."

'Juvenile or not, I still punched a shark.' I thought, smug.

"While my friend and I were floating along in the water, a good distance from the shore, when a hammerhead shark approached from our flank. I noticed it coming towards us and punched it." I said, "I know that is one of the best ways to avoid an attack."