Chapter Thirteen: BBQ and Ideal Types

The van stopped in front of a family-owned Korean barbecue restaurant. I got out first, ushering the boys out and into the restaurant, eyes peeled for crazy fans.

The manager rolled down the window and said to me, "I'm heading back to the agency. But you guys should be able to walk to the dorm from here. Good job today."

I nodded as he rolled up the window, driving off.

The boys were already being led to a private area once I walked into the restaurant. In a private area, we could eat in peace. The boys took their seats first, I sat where there was an empty space between Wonho and Minhyuk.

I took a sip out of the metal cup of water in front of me, glad that the music show was over for the day. I didn't know if I could handle a whole year of being bullied by these k-pop idols. But I was stuck in a contract, so there was no backing out now.

"Good job today everyone!" Shownu said, "You too Jiyeon-ah." He gave me a thumbs up from across the table.

I laughed a bit to myself, "Yeah, I guess I did okay."

I refrained from murder, so that's a huge plus.

"Let's order drinks!" Minhyuk cheered, waiving down a very excited waitress. "We want to order Bulgogi, Kalbi Sal, Chadol, and... three bottles of soju, beers all around too!"

The waitress disappeared bring the food and drinks, we went back to chatting.

This would be my first time having soju, so I was excited to try it for the first time.

"We're going to have fun tonight!" Jooheon cheered.

Once the meat was on the grill and alcohol was served, I finally felt relaxed.

"So Jiyeon," A tipsy Changkyun spoke up, "Do you have a boyfriend back in America?"

I laughed, probably a bit too loudly, before replying, "No, no way. I'm not exactly girlfriend material back in the US."

Which wasn't entirely a lie. I wasn't girlfriend material because I didn't have time to date anyway. The FBI took up all of my free time, I was lucky to get any time to sleep. That wasn't the only reason I wasn't girlfriend material, though, because I intimidated half the guys I spoke to.

A girl that stands up straight and respects herself is apparently too scary for guys in the US.

"Really?" Minhyuk cut in, exaggerated shock on his face, "Did you ever date anyone?"

I thought back to one horrific date that I went on in High School.  Prom was around the corner, and I was in need of a date. The guy was a complete Koreaboo and was only interested in me because I was the only partial Korean girl he knew. Needless to say, I went to Prom with friends and without a date. It was more fun that way anyway.

"Not really." I shrugged, drinking a shot of soju, face turned away from the group because I was the youngest one at the table. "I'm sure you guys can't relate, though. You all probably date all the time."

The guys chuckled, but were hesitant to respond, "Well, when I was an Ulzzang back in the day, I had quite a lot of girls interested in me," Wonho said, "But after I became a trainee, and after  we debuted, we haven't had time for dating.

I scoffed, "There's always time for dating, isn't there?"

I found it hard to believe that all of these guys, in their prime, were not dating. They must have secretly had girlfriends or something. It would be hard to hide it from me in the future, anyway. I was their bodyguard after all.

I motioned for everyone to lean in and whispered, "Come on, you guys can tell me the truth. Your manager isn't here."

Hyungwon rolled his eyes, sitting back in his seat and continuing to eat his meal. "It's really none of your business anyway."

"Hah!" I pointed at Hyungwon. He looked up, surprised at my outburst, "He must be secretly dating someone!"

Anyone that protests too much to something are usually lying.

"W-what..." Hyungwon stumbled on his words.

"He's not dating anyone, I can promise that," Shownu laughed, "But not for a lack of girls trying. His standards are just too high."

"Yeah, he used to be a model, so he's seen the best of the best." Jooheon added, "I guess he's probably waiting for a Gisele Bundchen or Naomi Campbell."

That made sense to me. If I were a model or someone as attractive as Hyungwon, I wouldn't settle if I knew I could find better.

Sadly I was just a normal person who was probably going to be single forever.

"What's your ideal type, Jiyeon?" Minhyuk asked.

'Ideal type? Do I even really have one?'

I was so busy working with the FBI that I didn't have time to think about who I like, or even if I wanted to settle down in the future. Did I even want to get married? Who knows. My mom wasn't married, and she did a fantastic job of raising me. We both ended up happy.

"Well..." I tried to think of the perfect guy. If I could hand pick and create a man who would suit me the best, I wasn't sure what he would look like. I never really had any crushes in the past.

I thought back to the guy that worked at the coffee shop. Coffee Camp. I guess he would be my ideal type. He was the only guy I had thought twice about.

"I guess..." I took a sip of the ice cool water in front of me, staring down at the meat cooking on the grill as I thought, "Someone who is reliable. I'm already a tough person, so I don't think I need someone too tough. Most girls want a guy that can protect them, but I can already take care of that on my own."

"Do you like attractive guys?" Changkyun asked.

I shrugged, "Looks don't really matter to me. I don't trust guys that are too good looking... no offense."

The whole table chuckled.

"So you won't date a handsome guy?" Wonho asked, turning in his seat to look at me.

Would I date anyone at this table? It would be highly unprofessional of me. So probably not.

I shook my head, "It's not my goal." I took another shot of soju before continuing, "I am counting on living a very boring life with a boring husband who has a boring, but steady, job."

Hyungwon scoffed, "Really? That sounds like a pointless life."

"It sounds like a nice life to me." I argued, "Everyone has different goals."

"I guess my goals are just better." Hyungwon shrugged.

"You're too uptight, Hyungwon." Shownu said, sliding over a bottle of soju, "We're not talking about reality here. Just ideals."

"Well, not that anyone is asking," Hyungwon announced, "But Jiyeon is the opposite of my ideal type."

"Thanks, that's a compliment." I retorted, finishing off my beer and following it with a mouthful of beef brisket dipped in sesame oil and salt.

"Sorry, Hyungwon gets weird when he drinks." Wonho whispered to me. He turned to announce to the table, "Well, Jiyeon is my ideal type. She cooks ramen very well."

The table erupted into laughter.

'Is that really something to base an ideal type off of?'

"I like your personality Jiyeon," Changkyun said, raising his beer to cheers with me.

"Thanks." I replied, "Your personality is nice too."