Chapter 15: Broke

I wake up earlier today and leave before anyone notices me. I get to school about a half hour early which surprises me, I thought I would be later than that. The halls are empty-ish as I walk towards the music room, I thought I could work on the song a little to make sure it's perfect before first period, but that soon changes once I see who's in there. I open the door and feel like saying hi or make a comment like I usually do with him,

"So, I thought you only practiced in the mornings in the auditorium."
He whips his head around and has a startled look on his face. but his grey eyes still seem so content like they always do. Stop wait did he say something?

"What are you doing here this early?" Jackson is surprised to see me. I'm a little surprised too that I'm even here because I value sleep in the mornings.

"You never answered my first question."

"Oh sorry, sometimes I come in here, I like being more confined at times when I sing or play music."

"You too, I thought that was only me because I know a lot of performers would always perform on a big stage if they can."

"Yeah but the peace and quiet in a small room just feels..."

"Right?" I finish his sentence and he gives me a slight grin.

"Exactly, but you never answered my question, what are you doing here this early?"

"Well I thought about what you said yesterday and I was going to come in to get some time to myself and work on the song I have planned for us to sing later."

"Oh sorry. So you went with the duet I see."

"Yeah, I thought this song would sound better with two voices and you popped right into my head when the idea came to me."

    "May I see." He's sticks out his hand waiting for me to give him the paper.

"I don't know isn't that cheating."

"Not if no one knows. Come on. Please."

"Jackson."

"Please!" He's begging.

"Oh please don't do this Jessie has made me deaf enough by doing that."

    "Please!!!!!"

    "Jackson, No!" I'm not going to budge.

    "I won't stop, I could go all day and by that time I would have already heard it so..."

    "It feels wrong."

    "Pretty Please." He gives me the big puppy eyes look I can't say no.

    "I-I I... Ugh that's so not fair." I look away before it really takes effect.

    "What my eyes? They're my secret weapon."

    "Just stop and take it before I regret it." Shoving the paper in his hands I turn slightly and watch out of the corner of my eye as he looks it over and his face seems to have no expression.

    "So is it good or not? I can't tell with your face."

    "Wow." That's all he says, and it doesn't help me with how he feels about the song.

    "Good wow, or bad wow?"

    "Amazing wow, Rae you have an amazing talent and it shows here. Do you mind." He motions towards the piano signaling he wanted to sing it.

    "Sure why not." I sit down next to him finally giving up on the whole we're definitely cheating right now. Once I'm seated he starts to sing the beginning and plays the music exactly. He's not too bad with music either. When it gets to my part I start singing. We can't stop, the music just seems to flow between the two of us. Almost like we weren't two different people in this moment. We finally finish the song and it gets quiet. Jackson speaks first,