Chapter 26: Sparks

Jackson

Brandon and Kevin go in the car with Jessie and Kennedy so that leaves me with Rae. We're taking a bike. When I say that her face lights up and she runs over to the bikes running her hand over the handlebars. It's cute to see her like that, so fascinated by just a few motorcycles. We're making small talk, but I can't say anything else because she wants to go.

"We better get going before they get home." Not wasting any time I go over to the first bike and get on. She comes up a jumps on behind me. We're so close I don't know what to do or say, it's like cat got my tongue. Only thing I can do I guess is make sure she'll be safe.

"Hold on." Giving her a helmet I grab one and put it on. I'm about to go, but then she stops me.

"Hold on to what?" Really? Did she not want to hold onto me or is just not thinking. I open my visor on my helmet and turn my head around to look at her.

"Have you ever seen a movie before. Hold on to me, I got you." I give her a smile and close the visor on my helmet turning back around. I feel like I'm going to die any minute by how slow she wraps her arms around my waist and how fast my heart is pounding. It's a different touch from when we dance. I don't know what it is, but it feels nice to have her arms wrapped around me like a hug from behind and it's really hard to hold back a smile.

By the time we left the gates and they close behind us she rests her head on my shoulder. Just that small movement makes me tense up not knowing what to do. If I move will she move or will she stay there. I don't want her to move personally so I try and stay still. By the time we pull into her driveway her parents are right behind us. At first it feels like she doesn't want to let go, but that soon changes.

"I better go." She moves her hands and gets off the bike..

"I..." I want to say something, anything really but my words won't come out. Then I'm cut off.

"Inside now!" Her mom points towards the house and walks away with her dad following. Maybe I can say something now, but I'm cut off again.

"I should go before she gets all psycho on me." She starts to walk away, but I don't want her to leave yet so I grab her and hand and she turns around. This time I want to say something about the feelings I just had and if she was the same, but all that comes out is,

"Umm, sorry about everything with tonight. Talk to you tomorrow."

"No problem, bye." Damn did I just mess up cause she kind of seemed a little upset by what I said. Think, fix it.

"Rae wait." She turns around again, but all I can say is, "The helmet." She looks down and gives it back to me then walks off not saying anything. I don't stop her this time. If Brandon was with me he would be like "Nice going dude." Ugh! Why can't I just admit my feelings, everyone around us sees it, but I just get tongue tied around her. And what if she doesn't feel the same. Is she scared and that's why she hasn't said anything or just doesn't feel like that. Why is it so complicated with her. What are these feelings I've been having. This stupid tingle in or on my chest I just don't know anymore. They're nothing I experienced before and they are seriously messing with my head. I'm just a teenage boy in high school and I've already had enough problems in my life to fill up an eternity. Maybe some sleep will help because I still need to think about everything that happened earlier. She's an elemental like me, but the difference is she's a Light and I'm a combine. I feel like if we ever had a chance that might get between us somehow. With Bridget she didn't know which made it easier and I knew it wasn't going to work out for the long run. Well Rae doesn't know, she just knows I'm an elemental, but knowing her she will soon figure it out what kind I am. I've been here too long I better go. Pulling out of the driveway I head back to the agency.