Hanna

After I got up, I headed downstairs to eat some breakfast. Mom left a note on the fridge for me saying that she would see me tonight. I guess that means I need to ride the bus this morning. The bus picked me up at 7:30. I decide to head straight to first hour to start working on whatever's next. There was some girls in the classroom when I walked in, watching me as I continue to sit in the back of the room. The girls get out of their seats and walk back to where I am. They all sit in the desks around me. One of the girls speaks up to talk to me.

"Hi, I'm Victoria, Ms. King's daughter."

"When she said daughter, I didn't know she meant someone my age."

"She leaves details out of her instructions a lot. I'll meet you here Saturday morning at 7."

"7? I usually don't even wake up till 10 on Saturdays."

"Well, you're going to wake up earlier this Saturday. It's not my fault you got detention, and it's not my mom's fault either."

Classes zoom by fast, until the bell for lunch rings. Even though I've been going to this school for a few years, I haven't made any real friends here. I don't really feel like eating much today, so I just buy a bag of chips from the vending machine. I turn around and see Victoria waving for me to come over and sit by her and her group of friends. Victoria and her friends talk the entire time about cheerleading.

The bell rings to go to the last class of the day, English. I make my way through the large crowd of students just standing in the hallway. I walk into Ms. King's classroom before anyone else gets there. I head to the back of the classroom to sit back there, but I realize that Ms. King has given us assigned seats with names on each desk. I look around for my name, she has me placed in the front. I guess I really haven't impressed Ms. King with my little act yesterday. I look to my right and Victoria's name is on the desk next to me. Victoria comes in with the rest of the cheerleaders. They all find their places just as the tardy bell rings. Ms. King enters and proceeds to sit down at her desk.

"Class, open your literature books and read chapters 1 and 2."

I think our literature books must be pretty old because mine has a lot of scribbling in it from previous students. After everyone finished reading, she split us up in groups to discuss what we read. This was going to take the rest of class time. The bell rings, signaling the end of school for the day.