Hanna

Mom's car was in the driveway when I got off the bus. I hurried inside to go tell mom about my day. When I walked into the house, I could see mom working on something important, so I went up to my room instead. I didn't have a ton of homework to do, so I finished it all pretty fast. I could smell something coming from downstairs, Mom must have made dinner tonight. I hurry out of my bedroom and head downstairs to see what she made for dinner.

Mom had made us chicken alfredo for dinner. Discussion at the dinner table was almost silent tonight. Mom asked me for more details about my detention Saturday, but that was about it. Apparently dad had tried getting ahold of me again today, but I wasn't home from school when he had called. Mom and I washed the dishes then went into the family room to watch some tv together. I lost track of time sitting there with mom, but I figured I needed to go to bed so I could get some good sleep.

Mom made me breakfast this morning before she left for work. Mom seems to be in a really good mood despite having just gone through a divorce. I wish I knew what to say or how to comfort her, but I don't. As soon as I finished breakfast, mom drove me to school. She said she was going to go shopping for house appliances today.

Classes were shorter today because it's Friday. It made the unbearable classes more bearable. I feel like Victoria and the cheerleaders have been assigned to watch my every move or something. Everywhere I turn, one of them is watching me. I finally get to the last class of the day, English, though I know that this class will go by slower than the whole school day.

Ms. King had a pop quiz on chapters 3 and 4 of our literature book. I was so glad that I had read them last night like I was supposed to. The pop quiz took the entire hour to complete. When the bell rang, I tried to get out of the classroom as fast as possible, but Ms. King stopped me from leaving. She was just reminding me what my plans for tomorrow were supposed to be, and that I better not be late.

Mom picked me up from school. The back of the car was filled with kitchen appliances. I got a call from dad a few minutes after getting home. I could escape the home phone all I wanted, but I couldn't ignore him calling my cell phone.

"Hey dad. What's up?"

"I was just wondering why I haven't heard from you. I haven't talked to you since you moved out."

"I haven't really felt like talking to you."

"Well, I'm excited to see you tonight. When is mom bringing you over?"

"Mom must have not told you what happened this week. I got detention on the first day of school, and detention is all day tomorrow."

"So I won't be seeing you at all this weekend?"

"At least not tonight or Saturday, maybe Sunday."

"I guess we'll just have to make some big plans for next weekend then."

"Yeah, sure."

"Love you honey, bye."

"Bye."

That went better than expected, he didn't even yell at me for getting detention. He must be trying to be playing Mr. Nice Guy to get on my good side. I went to bed early so I could wake up on time the next morning. I slept really well, but I was tempted to press snooze on my phone when my alarm went off this morning. I ate a couple pieces of fruit, then mom drove me over to the school where Victoria was already waiting for me.I got into the car with Victoria and we headed off to her house. I was hoping for a quiet ride, but I guess the cheerleader side of Victoria pushed her to talk the whole ride. I couldn't believe it when she pulled into my dad's driveway. What the heck were we doing here?

"Victoria, what are you doing?"

"Pulling into my driveway."

"This can't be right. You don't live here."

"Yes I do. My mom and I just moved in here last weekend. My mom's fiancé lives here. Is there something wrong?"

"Uhh, no. Nothing is wrong."

I couldn't believe this. Last week, I found out that my mom and dad got a divorce. This week, I got detention on the first day of school. This weekend, I found out that my dad was already engaged to someone. Problem is this isn't just someone, this someone is my teacher. I hope he's not at home right now, that would be even more embarrassing. I wasn't about to tell Victoria or Ms. King anything about my life, I didn't want to make this any more miserable than this was already going to be.