Hanna

Victoria was speechless the whole ride to my house, which was really nice. Mom isn't going to believe how my day has gone. I think Victoria wanted to drop me off rather quickly because she sped the whole way. When we got to the house, I waved goodbye then ran inside.

"Mom?"

"Hanna, is that you?"

"Yeah mom. Where are you?"

"I'm in my bedroom."

I hurried and ran up to her bedroom and plopped onto her bed. She sat down next to me.

"How was detention?"

"You will not believe what happened today. Ms. King, my English teacher, is going to be my step-mom.?"

"What?"

"Last weekend when we were driving away from dad's house, that lady pulled up and she and dad kissed each other. That lady is my English teacher. I almost avoided telling them, but right as I was about to leave, dad walked in."

Mom and I talked a while longer about what had happened. Between doing community service, and finding out I'm getting more family, I'm so exhausted. Mom ordered takeout tonight because she was tired too. After I ate, I ran up to my bedroom and fell asleep.

I got a call really early in the morning for a Sunday. It was dad calling, I debated whether or not to answer it.

"Hi dad."

"I was wondering if you wanted to come to spend the day at my house. You can go to school in the morning with Victoria. I already talked to your mom, she's fine with it if you are."

"I guess."

"Great. I'll pick you up in 30 minutes. Love you, Hanna. Bye."

"Bye dad."

I started packing everything I'll need. Dad will be here any minute, so I guess I'll just shower at his house. Mom must have been planning on me saying yes to dad because she left me a note downstairs saying that she was heading shopping and that she would see me on Monday after school. I hear a knock on the door, it must be dad. Dad pops his head into the house and picks up my bags. Our ride to dad's house is awkward.

"I'm sorry that you had to meet Rose in such circumstances."

"It's whatever. How was I supposed to know that my English teacher was your next piece of meat?"

"Don't talk about her like that, I love her."

"Sure. Just like you loved mom."

"I'm sorry Hanna, but we weren't in love anymore."

"Do you even understand how awkward yesterday was for me? I was forced to go into my house pretending that it was someone else's. I didn't even know her first name."

"Look, we're almost home. Let's just get off with a fresh start, forget what happened yesterday. Can you please just try?"

"I guess I can give it a try."

"Thank you."