Hanna

Victoria and I headed to our first class. She asked me if I would study with her, so we studied together until class began. We watched a movie on the Boston Tea Party in history, then we had a quiz on it. Math was just a worksheet with a bunch of equations on it due at the end of the hour. P.E. was rough, the teacher had us run a timed mile. Victoria and I were some of the first ones to finish. Our teacher in foods was teaching proper cooking terms.

I was so excited when the bell finally rang for lunch. I brought some fresh fruit from mom's house to eat for lunch. There was enough for Victoria and I to share. All of us cheerleaders sat together at a table talking about what practice was going to be like today. The bell rang soon after for us to go to English. Rose was already in her room waiting for her students to come to class. She seemed frustrated, maybe a lot of the students did poorly on their test.

"Okay class, I need you all to sit down. I have to say, I am very disappointed in your test scores from yesterday. Only a select few actually even passed the test, twenty-four people received an F. If you had all chose to study more, you could have got a better grade. I know that many of you are probably wanting to know how to get a better score, but I haven't decided what you'll have to do to get a better score yet."

Rose gave us a bunch of homework at the end of class, it was going to take a long time to finish it. When the bell rang, Victoria and I headed to the locker room to change for practice. Practice was fun, we worked on some dances and cheers for the upcoming volleyball and football games. After practice, we got dressed and headed home with Rose. Our car ride home was so quiet I could have cut the tension in the air. Dad wasn't home when we got there, he must still be at work.

"You two head upstairs and finish your homework, I want to see it when you're done."

"Yes mom."

"Yes Rose."

I was finished with all of my homework except for English when Rose had walked in to check on me.

"Are you done with your homework yet?"

"No, I just barely started on the homework you assigned us today."

"Well, you don't have to do all of the homework I assigned you today. You just need to read the chapters that I assigned and answer the questions that go with them. The paper isn't due until next Friday, so you still have some time on that one."

"I don't know how I'm going to be staying on top of all of this homework."

"You can do it. I know you can, plus you have your dad and I supporting you every step of the way. Let's go get dinner started, we'll leave Victoria up here to study more."

I had a great time cooking dinner with Rose. A few days ago I still wasn't talking to my dad because I was so angry with him, but now I couldn't get enough of staying at dad's house. Rose and Victoria were becoming family to me. She had welcomed me into her life with loving arms and an open heart. My stomach hurt from laughing so much with her. I never thought before this that a relationship that wasn't biological could be like this, but ours was beginning to. She has already surpassed the barrier of stranger, and has started becoming my friend. Dad got home right as we finished cooking dinner. Tonight is going to be the first night that we have ate dinner together.

"Hey dad."

"Hey Hanna. How was school today?"

"I got a bunch of homework, but that's not too hard."

"Where is Victoria, Rose?"

"She's been in her bedroom since we got home doing her homework. I told her that I want it all finished before she came down. She only has a little bit left, and then she'll be down."

"You're not being too hard on her, are you? I mean it was only one test."

"Hardly. I just have the expectation of homework needs to be done before anything else."