Rose

"Good morning Ms. King."

"Hello Hanna. I'm glad you could make it on time."

"I'm here, so might as well get this over with."

"Oh wait, we better talk about your other punishment requirements that I was informed of. You've never been a student that had the best grades, so the principal has decided that you will be required to be tutored every week. I have been asked to help tutor you throughout the school year. You are also required to attend and participate in cheer tryouts on Monday. The teachers decided that you need to be more involved in school outside of academics. The last requirement is that you will have 3 more Saturday detentions."

"Why all of this? This is my first detention, why am I being punished so harshly?"

"The school is cracking down on offenses this year, and they figured that they might as well crack down hard to get their point across. If I were you, I wouldn't be complaining. You are the one that got yourself into this mess. An offense is an offense. Apparently you were on a watch list because you're not necessarily bad, but you're not good either. I hope that this detention will change your school record. My daughter would never get detention, and if she did, she'd have more consequences than the ones that the school gives out. You're lucky I'm not your mom."

"I understand Ms. King, I'm sorry for disrespecting you. Trust me, I don't ever want detention from you again. Let's get started then."

"That's more like it."

Hanna had been here for most of the day. I decided she'd been here long enough.

"Victoria, why don't you take Hanna home?

"Okay."

Victoria and Hanna were just about to leave when Ryan walked in.

"Hanna, what are you doing here?"

"Uh, umm."

Ms. King must have heard dad walk in because then she walked into the living room too.

"Wait, Ryan, this is your Hanna?"

"Yes, this is my Hanna."

"Hanna, why didn't you say something?"

"I didn't know that you were my dad's fiancé until this morning when Victoria pulled into my dad's driveway. Getting detention was already embarrassing, I didn't want to say anything. I didn't know that my dad had been dating, let alone been engaged."

I could tell that Ryan wanted to crawl in a hole.

"Hanna, do you want to stay the rest of the weekend?"

"No, I'd rather go home. I've had enough of being here already."

She hugged Ryan and ran for the car.