Chapter Two

Under the Blood Moon

Two

Valerio's cries early the next morning wake Cauis and I with a start. We both bolt up on the bed, breathing heavily. Valerio still doesn't sleep all the way through the night, which is something I thought he would have established by now. At least four times a week, he wakes us with his piercing screams.

"I got him." Cauis tells me, already tossing the blankets off of him. "Go back to sleep."

I mumble a thank you, and lay back down. All the traveling we just got done doing is really taking it's toll on me. I close my eyes, trying to block out my son's screams. I'm just grateful that Cauis and I are the only ones in this section of the house. I would feel horrible if anyone else loses sleep because of Valerio.

Just as I feel sleep start to consume me again, a soft knock sounds on our bedroom door. I pick my head up, looking at the clock on the bedside table. It's just after four in the morning. The only ones who would be up, because they don't sleep, is Nikiya and Luke. I grumble to myself, but throw the covers off me, and sleep walk over to the door. I grab the handle, and tear the door open saying harshly, "What?" I'm not normally so rude first thing in the morning, but I'm just so tired.

Luke stands there, looking sad and apologetic. He runs a hand through his dirty blonde hair and gives me a small smile. "Hey, sorry, I heard Val start crying. I can take him so you and Cauis can rest?" He offers.

Ever since his mating with Nikiya, Luke has become a completely different person. No longer is he bitter with a chip on his shoulder. Where he used to hate everything and everyone, now, he loves life. Even though his own life will last forever now, he sees all life as a precious gift. Cauis had actually forgave him for what he did to Hope and I. Never in a million years would I have said Luke and him would be friends, but miracles do happen.

I give him a tired look, and sigh. "When's the last time you fed?" I ask him looking him up and down. With blood running through Valerio's veins, I don't want to push Luke too far. He's still considered a newborn vampire. According to Nikiya, it can take years to have your thirst under control. And Luke is just over a year old. The only reason they moved in with us is so he can learn control around us all. He hasn't attacked any of us, but that could always change. And I'm not willing to test that with my son. Luke's eyes are his normal bright blue, so he's fed recently.

"Last night before you guys got back." Luke answers me as Cauis walks into the bedroom. "Sophie is already up, so I can take him downstairs with Nikiya and I. I'm sure Sophie misses her playmate."

Even though Valerio is four months older than Sophie, they play together well. Valerio even tries to share his toys with her, even though they're too advanced for the four month old little girl. It's so cute seeing them together.

I look over my shoulder as Cauis approaches us. "Are you okay with Nikiya and Luke taking him?"

"That's fine by me." Cauis replies, passing Valerio to Luke.

Luke smiles back at us and says, "Just come get him whenever you want."

"Thanks, Luke." Cauis says giving him a tired smile, and then shuts the door. He turns to me, and places a hand on my shoulder. "Come back to bed, Esmerelda. You look exhausted."

I yawn, and let Cauis lead me back to the large bed.

I make my way down the grand staircase a little after nine later that morning. I still feel as though I could sleep another few hours, but I had woken from an awful dream. The yellow wolf's eyes were hunting me, trying to capture me. I was running through a large field, desperately trying to get to Cauis on the other side. Just before I get to him, the wolf tackled me to the ground, and then I woke up. I have no idea what any of it means, but I was unable to go back to sleep after that.