Chapter Thirty-Seven

Under the Blood Moon

Thirty-Seven

I stand, completely catatonic, just staring at Nikiya. Her eyes are red with anger, her nostrils flaring as she breaths harshly through her nose. Luke steps around me, and grips Nikiya's left elbow. She makes no acknowledgment that Luke is even in the room as she stares at me, I'm sure killing me over and over again in her mind. My breathing has stopped, and doesn't start up again until I feel Cauis' hand on the small of my back.

"I think you need to watch your tone, Nikiya." Cauis threatens her in a low voice.

For a split second, she acts as if Cauis hadn't said anything. But then, she grabs Cauis by his throat, and throws him across the open space of the living room. Without even thinking, I bring my hand up when Cauis smashes against the wall, flip my wrist, and then flick my fingers towards her, throwing her back into the foyer. I don't care how angry, or hurt, or confused Nikiya is. I will not allow her to continue to disrespect Cauis. He has been kind to her, even after she killed him. Nikiya's anger should lie solely on my shoulders.

Before I can blink, Nikiya is on her feet again, and pierces me with a bone chilling stare. She comes at me, and I wave my hand. I pop Nikiya and I out of the house, and into the thick woods that surround it.

I hold my hands up, and pant, "Nikiya, listen to me, please?"

She curls her lips over her teeth, stalking towards me. "Listen to you?" She screeches. "Listen to you? The woman who somehow erased my memories!" She laughs. "Oh, Esmerelda, I'm way past listening to you. The fear in your eyes, the hammering of your heart, the way you're already sweating a little, tells me everything I need to know. You killed Egor. I don't want to hear an explanation. I don't want to hear how you killed the man who saved my life!"

Nikiya lunges for me again, so I pop over to her other side. "Nikiya, please?" I beg her as she looks around for me.

She spins, and I wave my hand, freezing her in place. "No!" She screams at me. "I will not let you hold me prisoner as you try and convince me you did the right thing!" She tries to move, but hisses at me when she can't. "Let me go, Esmerelda, or I swear to God, I will kill you with my bare hands."

I come up to her, grinding my teeth together. Nikiya doesn't know the first thing about doing the right thing. If she wanted to, she would go on a killing spree just because she was bored. "Let me be very clear," I growl at her. "I made you kill Egor because of what his father did to me. And after seeing how vampires really live, the way all of you prey on humans who are just trying to live their own lives, I'm just ashamed I hadn't done it sooner. How many people has Egor killed over his years? Huh? Well, I can tell you, the night I killed him, he had already killed two innocent woman. Two, and that was just him having fun."

"We're vampires, Esmerelda. You act as if you were clueless to how we live. How we've always lived." She hisses back at me. "We're a predatory species. We hunt, we feed, we kill. That's who we are."

I wrinkle my nose in disgust. "Oh, I know all about how your kind live. I got a good look into it, and let me tell you, werewolves would never do the things your kind has done. We don't kill because it humors us. We don't experience unspeakable amounts of joy by harming others." I shake my head at her as I look her up and down, unable to stop saying anything. "No, Nikiya, that's all you. And yeah, I had an idea of how you live, but, Nikiya, how can you live with yourself knowing the pain and devastation you create?"