Chapter Twenty-Four

Under the Blood Moon

Twenty-Four

A car horn sounding the next morning outside the hotel wakes me from my peaceful dream. I had hoped to sleep in today, seeing as how Master Druses, Cauis, and I all stayed up well past two am chatting, and trying to explain this new world to him. I have missed my mentor deeply, and I didn't realize just how much until he was with us again. His calm demeanor always did make me feel like everything was going to be okay, and with the looming threat of Achilles and giving up my powers, I found myself basking in it. I do feel bad for him though. Where Cauis and I had the opportunity to learn about this time before actually being brought into it, Master Druses is getting a hard crash course. Even the way he looked at pizza last night had made me sad for him. He has so much to learn, and I worry that it will one day overwhelm him.

I sigh quietly so I don't disturb Cauis sleeping next to me, and slowly untangle myself from him. When I am done in the bathroom, I dress and grab Master Druses' key card. He had been worried last night that he would lose it, or forget what to do with it, so he had Cauis escort him back to his room, telling Cauis to hold on to it for him. I silently leave the room, making sure to leave a note for Cauis to find when he wakes up, and walk down the hallway. I feel a smile pull across my face as I think about how fortunate I am. Things may have gotten dark and scary for a long time, and even though I know I will be giving up my powers, I still feel as though I am lucky. I have managed to bring back the balance of nature, saved Cauis from death, have a wonderful son, and even climbed my way out of a dark abyss I thought I would forever be in. And now to top it all off, the man who became so much of a father figure to Cauis and I, is back.

As I get to Master Druses' room, I quietly knock, unsure if he is awake or not. Instantly, I hear his voice through the door, telling me to come in. I swipe the card, and open the door, relieved that he is wearing clothes.

"Good morning, Sir." I greet him as I close the door.

"Ah, Esmerelda." He breathes when he sees it's me. He bows to me, and then smiles. "How are you fairing today?" He asks coming up to me.

I smile at him, and bow. "I'm quite well, thank you. And how are you fairing?" I reply.

Master Druses turns to the messy bed where he had clearly slept, and holds his hands out to it. "This, these" he pats the mattress clarifying what he's talking about, "are absolutely amazing! Had we had these back in our time, I am sure no one would have ever left them." He gazes down at it lovingly. "These are absolutely splendid."

I laugh at him and make my way over to the table by the window. I open the curtain, and look out to the new day. "So you've found something you like after all?" I chuckle.

"Yes." He beams at me when I look at him, proud of himself that he used modern terms. Master Druses comes over to the table, and sits on the opposite side. "I feel there are quite a few things I will like."

"That's good," I reply looking back out the window. I turn my head back to him and say, "I am truly happy that you have joined us here. It has been a lonely journey for Septimus, Cauis and I. Your face lifts our spirits."

He smiles at me. "I am too." We're silent for a minute before he continues, clearing his throat. "Cauis told me about your attack. I am so sorry, Esmerelda."

I swallow, and give him a half smile. "Thank you, but it wasn't your fault. It wasn't anyone's fault, other than Achilles'." I will never blame someone else for what he did to me. I will, however, get my revenge.

"Nonetheless, I am sorry. I wish I could have been here to protect you. Perhaps then you could have been spared." He says giving me a sad smile. I have no doubt that he would have tried to help, but there probably wouldn't have been anything he could have done to stop it. The thought of what Achilles would have done to him if he were here and tried to help makes me shiver.