Chapter Three

Under the Blood Moon

Three

"Septimus," Cauis says taking control of the meeting. "Sort out the plane tickets for all of us and make sure to get hotel rooms for everyone too. Eric, I want you to take an earlier flight, scout out anything you can. Miles, I want you and Hope to be our decoys. Anytime we go out, you both will leave first. Luke, can you make the run before the sun comes up?"

Luke looks behind us to the large wall of glass where just a sliver of sunlight is beaming through the curtains. "The sun will go down in seven hours. I'll leave as soon as it sets."

"But can you make the run all the way to Florida, and be checked into a room before the sun comes back up?" Cauis presses.

Luke chews on the inside of his cheek, contemplating it. He looks over at Nikiya, who gives him a worried look. Luke looks back to Cauis and says, "It'll be close, but I should be able to make it."

"Don't take any risks." Cauis tells him. "If you don't think you'll make it, let someone know, and find somewhere to hide out for the day." Cauis looks around the room to everyone, his eyes resting on Septimus. He gives Cauis a nod, and then walks out of the room.

"Esmerelda and I will leave first thing in the morning." Cauis informs everyone else. "Miles, Hope, make sure you get on a plane with Eric and Abigail."

Eric, Abigail, Miles, and Hope all nod their head, and leave the room. Nikiya comes up to me, and gives me a hug. "Don't worry about Val. I'll take care of him."

I smile over her shoulder while Luke and Cauis talk quietly amongst themselves. "I know you will."

Cauis

"Are you sure you can make the run?" I ask Luke quietly, pulling him away from Esmerelda and Nikiya.

Luke looks over at Nikiya, and nods his head at me. "I can make it. It'll be tight, but I'll make it."

I cock my head to one side, measuring him. "How tight?"

Luke looks back over at me, rolling his tongue over his front teeth. "If I don't stop, for anything," he starts and then looks back over at Nikiya. "I'll make it." He looks back at me with hard eyes. "I'll make it."

The determination in his voice is thick. He isn't sure if he'll make it or not. I place a hand on Luke's shoulder and order, "The second you see the sun coming up, you find somewhere to rest for the day, and let someone know. Do not put yourself at risk. Do you understand?"

I see him swallow, and immediately he dips his head. "Yes, Sir."

I take my hand off his shoulder, and take a step back. Esmerelda and Nikiya are looking at us, listening. I know Esmerelda felt the power of becoming an Alpha, even Septimus felt it through his link. The look on her face is full of worry and fear. Last time we had a pack, they all sacrificed their lives to protect us. I grind my teeth, silently vowing to not lose another pack member. Not if I can help it.