Chapter Seven

Under the Blood Moon

Seven

I task Abigail with picking up Luke, Nikiya and the kids when their plane lands in the early morning. I haven't slept all night, and I fear that sleep will continue to elude me until Cauis and Hope are back. Ever since my father shunned me, after he learned of my mating with Cauis, I have never been without him in our bed. Our separation not included, obviously. Instead of sleeping, I pace the hotel room trying to figure out what to do. I've never seen magic such as Achilles. I preform natural magic, meaning my powers are gifted to me by the Earth. Achilles seem unnatural. He clearly was not born with such powers. And because I don't understand his magic, or where he got it from, I can't even begin to figure out how to find Hope and Cauis. Achilles magic is much more powerful than my own, that I'm sure about. How could a werewolf Alpha from ancient Rome come to have magic, and how did he get to this time?

"Esmerelda?" Septimus says quietly knocking on his adjoining door. I turn, startled even with him almost whispering my name, to see him standing inside his own room. "Sorry, I didn't mean to frighten you. I just wanted to know if you want some company while we wait for Abigail to get back?"

I cross my arms over my chest, and chew on my bottom lip. I don't hold anything against Septimus for what his son has done, but it is his son. My goal is to get Cauis and Hope back from him. Septimus wants to get to know his son, which is understandable. But, I might have to take Achilles out in order to get them back. I lived without Cauis for two thousand years. I will not go through that again. I gave Septimus my word that I would try to spare Achilles, but if he is all that stands between Cauis and I, I will not hesitate.

"Come in." I tell Septimus and turn back around to continue my pacing. It's barely four am, we all should be asleep. But I doubt any of us will sleep until this is resolved.

Septimus enters my room, and sits down at the table beside the closed window shade. He doesn't say anything, he just glances over at me every couple of minutes. After half an hour of silence, and my continued pacing, there's a knock on the main door. I immediately go and answer it, seeing Luke standing there with a backpack over his shoulder.

"Good morning," he says unenthusiastically.

I open the door further, allowing him into the room. "Where's Valerio?" I ask when I see he's unaccompanied.

"Nikiya took him to our room." Luke answers walking towards Septimus at the table. He takes the backpack off his shoulder, and sets it down. "He fell asleep on the plane. She didn't want to wake him."

I smile as I shut the door. "Tell her I said thank you." I say as I too come over to the table. "Did you bring all the information you have on Achilles?" I ask Luke, peeking over at Septimus. I'm not sure which documents Septimus had seen while in his hosts, but I need to be sure to find the important ones first.

Luke nods his head, and unzips his bag. "I did." He pulls out a green photo album, and hands it to me. "This one contains all the remaining information spanning his time as Alpha." Luke pauses, and then pulls out a white photo album and passes it to Septimus. "This one has records of him as a child." Septimus eyes Luke, and then snatches the album out of his hand. Luke shakes his head and then looks back at me. "The original documents are obviously to old for anyone to handle. Everything has been photo copied."