Chapter Five

Under the Blood Moon

Five

"Breath through your nose, Hope." I instruct her from our deserted spot on the beach. I had sent Septimus out three days ago to find a good spot for me to train Hope, and like always he did not come back empty handed. This spot on the beach is blocked off by a group of large rocks circling around us, practically hiding us from all angles. "Try thinking of something that grounds you. Anything that makes you feel at peace."

Hope closes her eyes, and takes a deep breath just like I told her. A soft white glow emanates from her palms that are faced upwards at her chest. From her right palm, a bolt of white light shoots to the sky. "Dammit!" She curses herself.

"It's okay," I tell her coming up to her. I take her right hand in mine, and massage her palm. "Magic takes practice, and patience. You will get there."

Hope looks at me, shaking her head. "This is useless, Esmerelda. I'll never get a handle on this. We've been at it for two days, and I still can't make the glow go away."

I continue to rub small circles over her palm, and say, "You will get a handle on this, Hope. I promise you. It just takes time. As soon as you can make the glow invisible, you will be in control of you powers. Lets go again."

I take a step back, knowing Hope prefers to have a little space. Hope shakes her head, looking down at the sand, and shakes her hands like she's trying to dry them or get something off of them. She shifts her weight from each foot, and then looks up at me. "I can't do this, Esmerelda."

I smile at her, "You can do this, Hope. I have faith in you."

Hope gives me a look, and bounces a little on the balls of her feet.

"Breath in through your nose, and out your mouth slowly," I instruct her again. "Calm your heart rate before trying again."

Hope closes her eyes, and takes another deep breath. As she lets it out, she brings her hands up beside her chest again, and then takes another breath.

"Repeat after me," I tell her. "Contensious valutia."

Hope swallows, and then repeats the simple cadence. The white glow spreads over her hands, and up her arms. With her eyes still closed, I shake my head at her. She's not relaxing. If anything, she's becoming more anxious with each try. When another bolt of light shoots towards the sky, she opens her eyes. If only I knew of a time where she was completely at peace.

"Do you remember when Miles and you first went to that clearing?" I ask her. Hope looks up at me, and nods her head. "Do you remember how peaceful it was there? How majestic?"

"Yeah," she replies smiling, dropping her head. "I miss Bluff."

"I want you to think about that night. How the pure beauty of the place made you feel." Hope closes her eyes. "Think about how the moon lit up the whole area. How it felt like nothing bad could ever come to such a place." I look down at her hands, seeing the glow begin to fade. "Keep that feeling close as you try again."

"Contensious valutia." She chants quietly. The glow begins to brighten as she uses her magic.

"Think about Bluff." I tell her keeping my eyes on her hands. "Push every other thought out of your head. Focus on that peace."