Chapter Eight

Under the Blood Moon

Eight

Cauis

I howl as I'm sucked through the giant hole. I hear a scream, but don't have a chance to look around to see where it came from. I fall, hard on my back, on a stone floor. Immediately, I flip to attack, and in mid air, freeze.

"Quite an impressive rebound time." A deep voice says behind me. I try to turn my head, but can't. I'm completely frozen, suspended in the air. I hear the scream again, and my captor asks, "Who did you bring you with, Cauis?" The scream stops, and the deep voice says, "You must be Hope, since Esmerelda couldn't have gotten through my trap. Well, I guess I'll just have to put you somewhere for now."

My captor lowers me to the floor, but doesn't release their hold over me. I hear footsteps coming to my front, so I move my eyes to look in the direction they're coming from. A few moments later, a man steps into my view. His dark brown eyes pierce into me. His chin holds a few weeks worth of hair, and his brown hair is perfectly styled. His arms bulge under the black button up shirt he's wearing.

I growl at Achilles.

"Oh, so scary." He chuckles as he squats down directly in front of me. Achilles snaps his fingers, instantly making me shift. I lay face down on the stone flooring, staring up at him. Achilles looks at the fingers he just snapped, and smiles. "You have your wife to thank for that." He looks down at me. "It is because of her I'm able to use magic after all. Frankly, I never could understand why my mother stuck up for her so much. Like she was a God. Not until I cast my first spell did I really understand. The power she wields! Powers that, thanks to her tying that prison world to my father's bloodline, now flows inside me. And I only have a small piece of it."

I growl at him and try to stand, but it's no use.

Achilles snaps his fingers again, flashing us into a room. I'm now laying on my back, unable to move. "Some great warrior you are." I snarl at him. "Can't even fight me fairly. What? Don't have the ability to shift anymore?"

I hear clothing tearing, and then a large black wolf is on top of me, their snout inches from my nose. Achilles growls at me. That answer that at least. Achilles jumps off the table, and shifts back.

"Cauis, I can do whatever I want." He says happily as he calmly walks around the table I'm on. "Thanks to Esmerelda's generosity, I could kill you, and her, putting an end to my father's suffering." Achilles grabs my right ankle, and twists, snapping my fibula. I grit my teeth, refusing to give him the satisfaction of hearing me yell in pain. Achilles laughs. "Gonna play this tough huh? Okay." He snaps his fingers, and suddenly I'm sitting in a wooden chair. My wrists, and across my collar bone, are pinned by a thick metal bar. There's a fire directly in front of the chair, right at my feet. I look down, seeing my bare feet in a metal contraption.

"Back in medieval times," Achilles starts taking a step towards me. "They would use these shoes on people who they thought were witches and warlocks. They thought, that if the person didn't get burned, they weren't a witch. But," he continues bending over. He picks up my left foot, and drops it in the fire. I ball my hands into fists, and try to not scream, but it's pointless. My back arches off the back of the chair, but the bar keeps me in place. The heat is so intense I can't hold it back, and I scream in pain. "They were idiots." Achilles finishes, yelling over my cries.

After a moment, Achilles puts a large stick under my left knee, lifts my leg with the staff, and pulls my foot out of the fire. I pant harshly through my teeth. Septimus' son or not, this fucker is dead the second I get the chance. Achilles comes up to my left side, and moves my already sweaty hair out of my face. I look over at him, gritting my teeth.