Epilogue

Under the Blood Moon

Epilogue 

I grab hold of Septimus' limp hand, and place my other on top of it. I bow my head to him, letting my tears fall freely and silently again. Internally, I try to thank him for all that he has sacrificed for Cauis and I over the years, but nothing I can think of even comes close to the ultimate sacrifice he has given me. He jumped at John without a moments hesitation. Septimus didn't even think about his own life before saving mine. He acted as if his life meant nothing at all in comparison to my own.

In the back of my mind, I keep asking myself, what would have happened to me had Septimus not came into the clearing right when he did? Would John have killed me instead? Would he have believed for himself that all my magic was in the necklace? Why did I not order all of them away like I had Cauis? How could I have basically stood by and done nothing while John beat one of my best friends to death in front of me?

I close my eyes, keeping my head bowed, and answer my own last question. Because I never truly embraced my werewolf side. I can count on one hand the number of times I myself shifted, not including when Hope had. I have always depended on my powers. And now that I don't have them anymore, when I should have trusted my other instincts to shift, my brother is dead.

There is no way to bring him back. Hope is not strong enough to cast the spell. If Septimus were only human, or a witch, and he wasn't bitten by a vampire, then yes she would be able to. I don't know if it was the vampire bites, or the way his head bounced off the ground multiple times that killed him. All I know, is I can't stop hearing that dull, wet, thump.

The room is completely silent. I can't even hear anyone breathing, or perhaps it's the thumping of Septimus' head echoing around inside my own that's louder than anything else. My eyes snap open when I see it again, and I stare up at the ceiling. My eyes are burning from crying so much in such a small amount of time. My heart literally feels like it's being ripped from my chest. More tears fall out of the corners of my eyes as I realize this is all my fault. Had I just not gone after Egor, had I just lived with my extra anxiety, Septimus would still be alive. I could have changed his fate, and because of my own selfishness, I didn't.

Two loud gasps breaks me from my line of thinking. Time seems to be standing still again. I don't know how long we have all been gathered around Septimus' body. Every single one of us; Cauis, Hope, Miles, Eric, and Abigail, all snap our heads at the culprit of the sound. Just that small noise makes me want to rip whoever did it's tongue out.

We all look over, seeing Luke and Nikiya standing in the archway to the foyer. I immediately let go of Septimus' hand, and come to my feet. I raise my hand, and stop. I look down at it for one second, and then shift. I growl, looking directly at Nikiya. Her eyes widen as Luke steps in front of her, holding his hands up.

"We had nothing to do with this, Esmerelda." Luke says panicked. "Septimus was our friend too."

Was. I growl at him. And never hers.

Luke's face changed, and he gives me a hard look. That is not true. Nikiya and Septimus have always been friends. Luke takes a small step to the side, exposing Nikiya to me. Just look into her eyes, Esmerelda. You'll see I'm telling you the truth.