Chapter Fourteen

Under the Blood Moon

Fourteen

I wake the next morning, feeling oddly refreshed. I look around, confused as to how I fell asleep on the couch. I hadn't even seen Achilles with my eyes closed. I hadn't dreamed at all. I push myself up, trying to remember last night, but I'm drawing a blank. Panic starts filling me. Why can't I remember what happened?

"Morning!" Hope cheers to my left. I look over, seeing her sitting at the breakfast bar, eating a bowl of cereal.

"Hey," I say sleepily to her. I stand from the couch, and toss a blanket that was over me over the back. "What happened last night?" I ask her as I make my way over to her.

Hope looks up at me, her mouth full. Droplets of milk fall from her chin as she smiles at me. She chews, holding a finger up. I take the stool next to her, waiting. "You fell asleep while we watched Spiderman." She explains after swallowing. "Cauis ended up staying all night. You slept on him. He left about ten minutes ago. Told me to tell you he loves you."

I snap my head back to the couch I had slept on. "Cauis stayed all night?" I asked scared. I hadn't meant to fall asleep, let alone on him. But I had slept so well. "And you were okay with that?"

Hope looks over at the couch, and shrugs her shoulders. "I didn't want to risk him waking you by leaving." She says and then shovels another bite in her mouth.

"I'm sorry, Hope." I tell her looking back at her. "I hope it didn't make you uncomfortable."

Hope shakes her head at me, and swallows her bite. "It didn't." She starts. "In fact, I was going to see if you were okay with Miles coming over and watching a movie tonight?"

I feel my eyebrows raise and my eyes widen. She's wanting Miles to come over now? "You're ready to see him?" I ask her shocked. "Have you talked to him yet?"

Hope shakes her head at me, and finishes her breakfast. "No, I was hoping maybe you could for me?" Hope slides off the stool, and takes her bowl to the sink. "I haven't spoken to him in two weeks, and honestly, I'm afraid to."

"You want me to go to the main house and ask him?" I clarify with her.

Hope stands with her back to me for a moment, and then slowly turns to face me. She rests her hands on the counter's edge, and gives me a look. She takes a deep breath, and explains, "Seeing you with Cauis last night actually made me miss Miles. I'm not ready for anything, but I think it's time we talk to each other."

I nod my head at her, smiling. "Talking is good." I tell her. "I'm sure he'll appreciate it."

"Just, explain to him that I just want to watch a movie with you and him, nothing more." Hope says a little frantic.

I stand from my stool, and start moving around the counter to her. I wrap my arms around her, hugging her tightly. "I'll make sure he knows." I let her go, and take a step back. "What time should I tell him to be here?"

Hope looks over to the stove that has a clock on it. She chews on the inside of her cheek for a moment, and then says, "Around six, if that works with you?"

I nod my head and start moving to the bathroom, needing my first shower of the day. "That works for me. I'll go to the main house when I get out of the shower. You gonna be okay by yourself here for a minute?"