Chapter Four

Under the Blood Moon

Four

I grip Hope's trembling hands, trying to comfort my friend in anyway. Miles wraps an arm around her quaking shoulders. Hope looks up at him, her eyes filled with worry. How does she have the powers of magic? Yes, she's a descendant of mine, but through the years magic in my family has dissipated. It's been a century since anyone in my family was able to preform magic, Kalli being the last one. Since she had died so young, and without any children, when we died in the fire, my next host had been a very distant relative through marriage, who had no magic at all in them. I was never again in the body of a witch. So how is Hope suddenly able to shoot magic from her hands?

Rita's screams fill the surrounding area, breaking my from my line of thought as I look over my shoulder to her tent. I look over at Septimus, and give him a pleading look. If Cauis is not stopped, he will kill Rita, and that will just make her a martyr to her people. Her cause will not stop if she dies, it will only intensify. We can't let Cauis kill her. Septimus seems to understand what I'm trying to convey to him, as he looks warningly at Rita's pack before going into the tent.

"I have her, Miles." I reassure him. "Please, go watch over Rita's pack."

Miles gives Hope a kiss on the top of her head, and then looks over at me. Ever since our very brief encounter in their prison world, as they refer to it, Miles only talks to me when necessary. I don't take any offense to it, knowing how uncomfortable he is with having put his hands on me that day, even if it was a misunderstanding. He always ensures there is someone else present if he speaks to me, or even if he walks into a room where I am. "Thank you, Your Majesty." He dips his head to me, and then shifts, going back to his position.

I run my hand up and down Hope's arm, knowing how terrifying it can be to just start using magic. Witches, and warlocks, normally begin to show signs of the ability to preform magic by the age of ten, and Hope is nearly eighteen now, much older than normal. When I started to show signs as just a younger girl, I had been around my family, who all practiced magic. It was a rich experience, filled with much joy from my father and mother. I learned from my hosts through the years though, that it can have a horrifying conclusion. I've witnessed witches begin to preform magic, having no idea how to control it, and completely lose themselves to it. No witch has been stronger then me, but Hope is showing signs, and emanating, a force to rival my own powers. I will not see one of my best friends succumb to such a fate. I continue to run my hand up and down her arm as I pull her away from the group. I know from experience how just a small thing can set her off. And if Hope accidentally hurts anyone, it will nearly kill her.

"What's happening to me, Esmerelda?" Hope asks panicked as we get just outside Rita's encampment.

I continue to rub my hands over her arms, just trying to sooth her. I smile at her and reply, "It's nothing to fear, I promise. I will see you through this. You just need to learn how to control it. I will train you."

Hope's eyes are still wide as she looks at me, shaking her head. "I don't want to learn how to control it. Can't you just take it away, or take it for yourself?"

I part my lips as I gape at her. "I can't get rid of it." I tell her honestly. "There is no way. It's a part of you. It's in your bones. And I can not take it for myself. I have enough power of my own. I can sense that you are very powerful, and so much power in one person may kill them. If you don't learn how to control your magic, it will consume you, Hope. Why do you not wish to learn how to control it?"