Chapter Nine

Under the Blood Moon

Nine

Three months ago...

I pick up an empty vase that's sitting on the table in my one bedroom apartment, and hurl it at the window as I scream in frustration. For three months now I have tried, unsuccessfully, to track Achilles while he uses a piece of my magic. The one and only time I was able to track him successfully, was when I learned he was in Catanzaro. I can sense now when he uses the portion of my magic that he has, which is often. Somehow, he has learned to control it fully by himself, which terrifies me. I know exactly what he is doing each time he casts a spell. The pain he constantly inflicts on someone breaks my heart each time. I have no way of knowing if he is causing Cauis or Hope pain, and honestly, I don't want to know. Yet, at the same time, I need to know. Neither Miles, nor I, can feel our mate in our link, so the possibilities are truly endless.

As soon as we moved here, I tried locating him again, but the reading I got said he was in Russia. The fear that went through me at the time was enough to bring me to my knees. It took me a month to realize that he was trying to send us into another trap. By him casting a spell telling me he is somewhere else, it makes it nearly impossible to find him. There aren't many people living in this village, just under one hundred thousand, but that's still quite a bit of people. Enough for Achilles to hide. What frustrates me even more, is I can't risk going outside and have Achilles learning that I am so close. I have no doubt that he has guards posted all over the town. So, Miles, Eric, Septimus and I are all stuck inside. The only member who can go out during the day and scout is Abigail, and this village is too large for just one person. Luke and Nikiya scout what they can at night, but haven't found anything. Living in a town of this size, you would think they would have found them easily, but Achilles is an expert at staying hidden.

In the three months since we moved to this hillside, not once has any of them picked up on their scent. It's as if he is able to masked everyone's scent. And my magic in tracking Achilles has become useless with how close we are to each other. Every time I try and locate him, like I just was, my spell rebounds, and tells me he's standing right next to me. Achilles has even blocked my ability to locate Cauis using a drop or Valerio's blood.

Valerio begins to cry from the bedroom, and immediately I regret throwing the vase. Before I can even take a step towards my son, Nikiya is running into the apartment. Ever since Luke and I learned how Achilles is able to do what he's doing, Nikiya has taken it upon herself to become my body guard. There's never a meeting with the group that she isn't standing right beside me.

"You okay?" Nikiya asks looking around the room, her eyes settling on the broken glass under the window pane. "I heard you scream and a crash."

I huff in anger, and move to pick up my screaming son. His first birthday is just over a month away, and I fear Cauis won't be back for it. Valerio already senses something isn't right. Cauis always plays with him, regardless of what was happening that day. Cauis always made time for his son. And now, with me so busy trying to find them, Valerio doesn't really have a playmate anymore. The only time he does have someone to play with, is when Luke and Nikiya take him so I can focus. It tears my heart in two knowing my son feels abandoned. It was never my intention for this to become his life, but he needs his father, and I'm the only one who can find him.

I open the bedroom door, seeing Valerio standing in his crib with giant tears falling down his face. I silently cuss myself for being so irrational and throwing the vase during his nap time. "Hey little one," I coo as I pick up him. "Sorry I woke you. Mommy is having a hard time right now."