Chapter Fifteen

Under the Blood Moon

Fifteen

Hope grabs my shoulders, and spins me around, pushing me towards the door. A small panic builds inside me when her hands drop from my back. I don't understand why she thinks I'm ready to spend time alone with Cauis. I look over my shoulder to her. "I'm not ready." I tell her, my voice spiking.

Hope tilts her head and says, "But you are, Esmerelda. I saw you two earlier. You were able to touch him. You can talk to him. You're ready. And so is he." Hope turns, and goes to the bookshelf. She grabs a copy of Sherrilyn Kenyon's Styxx, and plops down on the bed. She crosses her ankles, and opens the large book. She looks over to me and motions for me to get out.

I turn my head back to face the door, and take a deep breath. I lock my jaw as I grab the door knob, and pull it open. With shaking legs, I make my way back to the main room. Cauis is now on his hands and knees, picking up the fallen popcorn. I smile at him. He's even fixed the stools I notice.

"Hey," my voice shakes. I stop walking, and lean against the post.

Cauis brings his head up, and smiles at me. "Hey," he points with his chin and asks, "everything okay with Hope?" Cauis stands, and moves around the counter, throwing the handful of popcorn into the trash.

I nod my head, not trusting my voice anymore. I silently cuss at Hope. Why does she think I'm ready? So I touched him? That doesn't mean I'm all healed up. The bruises on my body have began to fade, but Achilles is still very much a part of my life, even if he is dead. His voice still echoes in my mind. I can still feel his hands on my body. A tremor comes over me, making me wrap my arms around myself.

"Esmerelda?" Cauis says delicately. I snap my head up, and force myself to breath.

"Hmm?" I murmur to him.

"Are you okay?" He asks taking a small step over to me. He stops and shakes his head. "Never mind. Stupid question."

I smile at him. "Thank you for always asking though." I reply in a small voice.

Cauis sighs and gives me a sad smile. "Is there anything I can do? Anything?" He pleads.

I feel my heart rate increase at the sound of his question. I shake my head, not thinking anything will help. I still feel like I'm drowning. Cauis takes another step forwards, coming up to me, but still leaving space between us. I look down at our feet and chew on my bottom lip lightly.

"Do you want me to leave?" He asks quietly.

I shake my head back and forth, keeping my head lowered. I don't want him to leave. Nothing makes me feel better, expect him just being here. It's kinda funny how just a week ago I was throwing stuff at him, yelling at him that he was suffocating me. Now, his presence can actually calm me. I chew on my bottom lip more as I begin to see what Hope was meaning. I smile, and let out a small chuckle.

"What is it?" Cauis asks.

I bring my head up, and chuckle again. "Hope wants us to spend time alone together." I tell him smiling.

Cauis' eyebrows shoot up as a wide smile spread across his face. "Is that so?"

I nod my head at him, and chew on my lip more.