Chapter Six

Under the Blood Moon

Six

Cauis

"I want the number of guards around Anubis to go up one person each shift." I tell Eric, Abigail, Septimus, and Hope. "Rita might come ba-" A blinding pain tears up my left shoulder suddenly, making me yell out in pain as I grab at it. Seconds later, an identical pain rips up my left leg. I yell out again as I fall to the floor.

Eric rushes over to me, kneeling beside me. "What's wrong?" He asks panicked.

As quickly as the pain came, it is gone. I rotate my left shoulder around, feeling no pain. I bend my left leg, also feeling no pain. My head snaps up and I look at Eric. "Esmerelda's in trouble."

I get to my feet in a flash and start running from the room. I hear the door close behind me as I race down the hall to the elevator. I tap the call button as the group comes up behind me. I growl at how long the lift is taking to get to us, and rush to the doorway leading to the stairs. The five of us dart down seven flights of stairs and then out the side door of the hotel.

"Abigail, get the van!" I shout over my shoulder as we run towards the street. Eric, Hope and Septimus follow after me while I run across the street towards the east.

We make it two blocks before Abigail gets to us. The traffic in Miami is always packed. It seems to take at least thirty minutes to go anywhere, but we can't shift and run to the outskirts of town in the middle of the day.

"Go!" I order as I jump into the passenger seat. Abigail waits a second, allowing Eric, Septimus and Hope to get in. Before the side door even closes, Abigail hits the accelerator.

"What happened?" Hope asks from directly behind me.

"She's been hurt." I reply bouncing my right leg up and down. We get caught at every light on the, what should be, twenty minute drive.

Finally, we hit the city line, and I tell Abigail to pull over. "Take the van the rest of the way." I order as I get out. I turn and shift, running into the small patch of trees along the side of the road.

Five minutes later, I see Esmerelda's body falling to the ground just as I'm getting close to the encampment. I growl, and push myself faster. I scan the area for whoever could have attacked her.

She just passed out. Miles tells me as soon as he hears my pawn hitting the ground. Pretty sure she's broken her shoulder blade, and left leg.

What happened? I demand as I come to her side, seeing a pile of vomit next to her.

She touched Rita's tent. Miles replies coming closer, keeping his front to Rita's pack.

I look over at Miles. That's it? She touched the tent?

Miles bobs his head and glances over to me. There's some kind of shield around it now. The second she touched it, some type of force threw her into that branch. Miles points with his snout to a half broken tree branch. Then she fell to the ground.

I look over at Rita's tent. There's a shimmer to it that wasn't there two days ago. How had Esmerelda not seen it? You see that right? I ask Miles.