Chapter Thirty-Eight

Under the Blood Moon

Thirty-Eight

I didn't even try to sleep last night. I knew it wouldn't come. Instead, Cauis, Septimus and Hope all stayed up with me. We sat in the TV room for a while, playing a few movies that none of us really watched. There is a feeling in the air, a feeling I can't quite describe. It's tense, yet at the same time relaxed. None of us spoke about the impending night, and for that I'm grateful. I knew this day would come, eventually. I know I'm doing it to protect my children, and to show John I really am no threat to him. Going after Egor had been personal, and I'm okay with giving up my powers because of it.

Around four in the morning, after watching yet another movie, I couldn't take it anymore. I stand up as soon as the end credits start rolling, and everyone follows my lead. I don't have any intentions of leaving the room, I just can't sit there on the couch anymore. I smile kindly at those closest to me in my life, and begin aimlessly pacing around.

The main question running through my head is, how will my life look after I no longer have magic? It has been with me ever since I was a small child. It has always been there. Every single obstacle I have ever been faced with, my powers have gotten me through it. When my family needed protection, I created a shield for them. When I had the vision of the prophecy, my magic made it possible for us to actually fulfill it. To create what little peace there has been between vampires and werewolves by making it so Nikiya could get pregnant, my magic was center stage. When Hope started showing signs of her own magic, I taught her everything Cyrus had taught me. When Achilles came back, mine and Hope's magic put him away for good.

How am I supposed to live without it? I never felt like I needed it, minus a few important times. It has always been there. Will I, myself, be different without it? Will I hate myself? Will I hate those around me? Will I come to resent Hope for still being able to preform magic? Will Valerio get the proper teaching now? What if Aemilia shows signs of magic as well, and I'm unable to show her how to use them? What if something happens, and Hope isn't strong enough to handle it? Hope is as powerful as I was before I was able to channel my father's coven. I know she can handle just about anything that is thrown our way, but what if it's too much for her?

"Esmerelda," Cauis suddenly says as I begin to make another circuit. He's rubbing his temples, squinting into the dark room. "Please, slow down."

I chew on my bottom lip, and sigh deeply. I know he can feel everything I'm feeling through our link, and it makes me feel guilty. This is my burden to bear. I close our link so he can relax, but he gives me a look.

"No," he says fiercely, making Septimus and Hope look at him. "Open it back up." He continues, coming over to me. He raises one hand, and cups the side of my face. "I don't mind, but you have to slow down. You're going to give yourself a heart attack worrying so much. Your emotions are all over the place."

I let out a deep breath, and lean my head into his hand even more. "Thank you," I whisper to him, closing my eyes.

I feel Cauis bring his other arm up, and he wraps it around my waist. He pulls me against him, and cradles me to his chest. "There's no need to thank me, Esmerelda." He replies softly, stroking my hair. "It's going to be a long day, and you need to relax."