Chapter Twenty-Three

Under the Blood Moon

Twenty-Three

Master Druses pulls on his ragged tunic, pulling it away from his neck. His hands disappear beneath the material, and go to the back of his neck. He wrestles with something for a few moments, and then he bring his hands back around his neck. Slowly, he pulls up on a gold necklace, and then rubies start to sparkle under the sun light. I gasp, and immediately step out of Cauis arms. Master Druses holds the necklace Adios had given me so long ago. I stare at the necklace as Master Druses holds it out to me.

"I summoned this to myself just before I cast my own spell." He says softly to me as I take it gently from his hands. "I believe Adios would have wished for you to have it."

I feel my eyes prickle as tears form. I grip the largest ruby in the center, and bring it to my chest. I close my eyes, and let my tears fall silently. I gasp, and my heart races frantically in my chest as a vision comes to me.

I take a deep breath through my nose as I tilt my head back to the blood moon. Slowly, I release the breath and close my eyes. Hope begins chanting quietly to my right, just next to where I'm standing. Her chants are soft, and weak, nothing like what we need them to be.

"Hope," I say comfortingly to her. I turn my body, and slowly reach my right arm out to her. I wait for her to look at me, the look in her eyes breaking my heart when she does. I swallow, and genuinely smile at her, not showing my teeth. "Hope, listen to me." I continue, forcing myself. "We have to do this. I can not let John and his people fear me. We will still be safe with your powers. I promise you. You need to start having faith in yourself. You are strong, and fierce, and I am so proud of who you have become. I know, this may be odd, but I see you as my own daughter. I have watched you grow your whole life. You are so kind and loving, and you always put somebody else first. Your magic Hope," I shake my head at her, smiling wildly, "It's a gift. Do not be afraid of it. With a heart like yours, you will be just fine." I wipe at the tears on my cheeks, and smile at her.

I take a deep breath, and let it out sharply. "So, we must put John's mind at ease." I continue turning my body back to the east, trying to sound like this isn't one of the worst days of my life. "Put all of my magic in the necklace, Hope."

My jaw trembles violently against my chest where it's dug into. Reality settles around me quickly, causing my legs to sway. I get my footing, and take a deep breath. I raise my head, taking another breath. My heart feels like it's about to fly out of my chest it's beating so quickly. I haven't had a vision in nearly six months. The last one being what Valerio's first words were going to be.

My eyes settle on Master Druses first, and then roll into the back of my head.

My eyes open sharply as I take an equally sharp breath. My back arches off the bed, making something to my left move quickly away from me.

"Esmerelda?" Cauis whispers as he hovers above me. "Are you okay?"

I sit up on the bed back in the hotel room, and look around the room. Cauis and I are alone, and I dart my eyes over to him. I raise an eyebrow and ask, Where is everyone?