Chapter Twenty-Two

Under the Blood Moon

Twenty-Two

"How does one find a burial site full of witches?" Luke asks when we've all gathered in the hotel room, minus Miles and Hope.

Hope and Miles are still angry with the pack, so they decided to stay at the hotel the three of us had been at. I, however, am not. I understand that they had no choice. Cauis' orders get followed, even if you don't want to follow them. So, I had packed my things, and came back with Cauis to his hotel.

"Hope and I will have to just walk around pretty much." I explain to Luke. "We'll be able to feel the magic."

"And how long will that take?" Nikiya asks stubbornly, crossing her arms across her chest.

Out of the corner of my eye, I see Cauis tilt his head at her. I understand why she's so resentful towards me. Hope and I kept them locked in a hotel for two months, and since Nikiya is a vampire, I can't even image what that must have been like for her and Luke. But, on the other hand, she did lie to me for months on end.

I cock my head to one side, and give her a pointed look. "It takes as long as it takes, Nikiya." I snark at her. "You can go home if you want. The only ones that need to stay here are Hope and I." I add on harshly at the end. Nikiya is supposed to be my best friend, and she's not a werewolf, so Cauis' orders didn't apply to her like the rest of them. She chose to not tell me when she could have. I take a deep breath, and let it out slowly. When I've calmed my heartrate, I look around to each member of the group. "Hope and I can finish what we've started without all of you here. I have no idea how long it will take to find it, but it's here somewhere. Since my family was not a part of the coven that lived here, I don't know where it is. Honestly, the only person who really knows where it is, is my mentor, Master Druses." I stand up from the edge of the bed. "But we will find it. And we will release their magic."

The room is silent for a minute. Septimus clears his throat, and then takes a small step forwards. "I will stay and help in anyway that I can. I'm sorry, to you and Hope, for not telling you my son was alive."

I sigh, and look around the room again. "I'm not angry at any of you for not telling us. I understand it was an order. But, if you want to leave and go home, you're more than welcome to. We really don't need everyone here for this."

"Everyone stays," Cauis orders coming off the edge of the bed next where I had been sitting. "When Achilles comes for the magic, things might get ugly. I want everyone here."

I roll my eyes. When Achilles comes, he'll be so focused on harnessing the magic that he won't even notice he's walking into a trap. Hope and I already have it planned that once we do find the burial ground, we'll put a barrier around it that will make it impossible for Achilles to use his own magic. As soon as he steps inside the barrier, he won't be able to do anything other than stand there. For everyone to stay is just a waste of their time. They won't even be able to help look for it. The only people who will be able to feel their magic will be Hope and I.

I sigh again, and sit back down on the bed. There's no use in arguing the point with Cauis. We honestly do not need everyone here.

"While Hope and Esmerelda search," Cauis starts. "I want someone to follow at a distance from them. Your job is not to watch them, but to keep an eye out for anyone from Rita's pack. Keep in mind that they don't have a say in what they're doing either. Unless someone comes up to one of them, you are to stay out of sight."